Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

20 Years!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tulsileaf
Mink Sith Lord

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:25 pm    Post subject: 20 Years! Reply with quote

Ding! (Gratz!) Cheese!

But really, Aja, that's an amazing achievement. What motivated you to create a webcomic? Whence came this fantastical and whimsical story that so captivates and entertains through ceaseless aeons*?

* As reckoned on the internet.
Aja
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Tulsi! It still amazes me that there are friends/readers who've stuck with the comic pretty much since the beginning. Shocked That is some epic-level patience!

Quote:
What motivated you to create a webcomic? Whence came this fantastical and whimsical story that so captivates and entertains through ceaseless aeons*?

Well, I had just read several books of writing advice, and everyone recommended starting with a few short stories before attempting a bigger project.

So I looked through my list of story ideas for the simplest, least developed, most generic option in the stack. I found one document that contained essentially five characters (hero, heroine, sidekick, villain, and henchman), a few lines of dialogue, and (in retrospect) an incredibly dumb joke/twist ending.

"Perfect practice material!" I thought.

And so I started True Magic, expecting it to be a nice short "warm-up" story that would be all wrapped up in about 100 pages.

And then I got increasingly obsessed with making it an "actually good" story.

And now here we are. Avast!

TBH, I have mixed feelings about those ceaseless aeons, because it seems like I have so little to show for them. It took me thousands of hours to finish a few decent chapters... while in that same time, my favorite authors completed multiple series of brilliant novels. XD

On the other hand, working slowly means I've had lots of time to get better ideas about every element of the story.

If I'd been able to post 100+ pages per year like I always wanted to, the comic might be done by now, but it would also be vastly inferior to the revised version that I've worked out in the past few years.

(For one thing, it's now heading toward an infinitely better ending.)

Anyway, I'm way more enthused about working on the story now than I was at the beginning. Grin Really looking forward to the next... however many years it takes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Magic Show All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: