Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

(Pages 435+) Earlier, at the Forensics Lab...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aja
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are observant! It's always cool when people notice/remember those kinds of details.

And those are excellent questions. The answers will probably become apparent over time... For now, all I can say is that dealing with nobles is generally more trouble than it's worth (as our heroes can attest). Nudge Nudge
MrPasserby
Courtier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aja wrote:
You guys are observant! It's always cool when people notice/remember those kinds of details.

Ooh, can I ask about the alt-text for page 274 then? Because to me the change suggested that you had recently decided that the Sarge and the Coroner were married. (And then page 436 just made my day!) I love hearing about how stories develop, so I wonder if you would mind telling us--did you always intended for them to be married, or when did you decide?
Aja
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's up for coffee?

MrPasserby wrote:
Ooh, can I ask about the alt-text for page 274 then? Because to me the change suggested that you had recently decided that the Sarge and the Coroner were married. (And then page 436 just made my day!) I love hearing about how stories develop, so I wonder if you would mind telling us--did you always intended for them to be married, or when did you decide?

You've got it! It occurred to me a little after the scene where she first appeared. They work in similar fields, and they seem to have pretty good chemistry (as demonstrated by this dual boot action), so it made sense to make her Sarge's already-mentioned wife. (Especially since the cast is already so big, I try to consolidate characters whenever possible.)

It's kind of embarrassing to admit, because I really want to be the kind of brilliant mastermind who has every molecule of plot lined up years in advance, with no mistakes and no revisions. But no matter how much plotting I do, there are always some things I end up figuring out as I go along, or even after-the-fact.

As an example, that "massive beetle on my face" line was originally just a throwaway joke. I only realized later that it was a great setup for the sand monsters.

What I find interesting (and sort of frustrating) about that is that it really doesn't make sense as a throwaway joke. If it wasn't setting up a plot point for later, it would just be a weird non-sequitur. But it was only after Richard called Patches his "cave beetle friend" that I looked back at that line and thought "OH HEY, OF COURSE. That was Spike scoping out the guard station."

Still, even though I wasn't thinking about the sand monsters when I wrote that line for Andir, I already had plans for them, and I knew what I wanted them to look like. So, all I can figure is that some part of my brain was putting the plot together behind my back, like...

Brain: Psst. Hey. Buddy.
Me: What?
Brain: Here's a joke for this page.
Me: Okay, but why?
Brain: Trust me. Put it in there.
Me: I mean, is there any particular reason you're suggesting this, or...?
Brain: Just do it.
Brain: You'll thank me in about six years.

That sort of thing happens a lot. I'll add some minor event to the story for no immediately obvious reason, and then years later I'll decide that I want to do something, and then I'll realize that the earlier event supports the thing I just decided to do. It's kind of cool when it works out (although I wish my brain would let me in on its ideas a lot earlier sometimes).

I guess that's a pretty long answer to a short question, but story development is one of my favorite subjects. Cheese!

(And if there's anyone reading this who also gets frustrated at not being able to figure everything out in advance, maybe this will give you some hope. Your subconscious may be working on the plot, and providing more solutions than you think!)
Syegle
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Writing can be wild like that. One minute you're coming up with a one-off gag, the next you're realizing it forshadowed something like eight chapters later. Perhaps you have been the mastermind with everything lined out but you don't even know it.

*cue dramatic music*
themadpsychologist

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aja wrote:
For now, all I can say is that dealing with nobles is generally more trouble than it's worth (as our heroes can attest). Nudge Nudge

What, even when they're knocked out? Razz

Aja wrote:
As an example, that "massive beetle on my face" line was originally just a throwaway joke. I only realized later that it was a great setup for the sand monsters.

It was an excellent setup.

So are you saying that Andir (and also Higgins) was saved only by his timely awakening?

Since Spike is intelligent, it makes sense that he didn't kill Lockwood and Mrs. Biscuit; he is trying to do away with evidence, not leave more, and he can handle only one corpse at a time.

So what the sand happened to Acacius and his squad? Sand lobsters don't bother nobles, yet a whole group of them still disappeared.

And what about the prisoners? Can sandbugs disassemble "their" corpses into dust, then perhaps reassemble them later? Also, is there a newly-dug or newly-discovered tunnel from the jail closet to the caverns below?

Phidega must be tired. Who in his right mind would offer Andir coffee?

I noticed Miss Lab Assistant heating Phidega's coffee. That's pretty cute.
Syegle
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention it before, but I appreciate the "#1 Sergeant", "#2 Corporal" (sorry, Phineas; guess you aren't quite good enough for the top), and the "Ω Boss" (I knew the coroner was a nerd) mugs. Idk, I just love little details like that.
Aja
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you guys liked the coffee mugs (and the heating method)!

themadpsychologist wrote:
Aja wrote:
For now, all I can say is that dealing with nobles is generally more trouble than it's worth (as our heroes can attest). Nudge Nudge

What, even when they're knocked out? Razz

Especially when they're knocked out. Shocked

Since Spike is intelligent, it makes sense that he didn't kill Lockwood and Mrs. Biscuit; he is trying to do away with evidence, not leave more

Exactly! Spike probably could've toted them away, one under each arm... but that might have prompted inconvenient questions from the guards outside.

Phidega must be tired. Who in his right mind would offer Andir coffee?

Andir was just about to go for it, too. One day Phidega will look back on this moment and thank the gods that he dropped both mugs.

For your other questions... the next couple pages may make some things clearer. Wink

Syegle wrote:
Perhaps you have been the mastermind with everything lined out but you don't even know it.

*cue dramatic music*

!?!?!
Syegle
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...You know, it's only just now I realized that even now, nobles are still using their powers to heat coffee. Java would be so proud.
Aja
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot beverages: the hallmark of good nobles throughout the ages. Grin

MrPasserby
Courtier

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the color of that last speech bubble! This is gonna be good. And if that's who I think it is... I've been waiting for this pretty much since the beginning of the reboot!

...Which means we're not going to see anything on the next page, are we? *starts stockpiling torches and pitchforks, just in case*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Magic Show All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: