Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

wow....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: wow.... Reply with quote

I've always known Penny Arcade was a vastly popular webcomic but had no idea that it generated as much income as it does.

From Gabe's News post: "Our advertising model brings in well over 1.4 million dollars a year for us"

That probably does not even cover sales of merchandise and reprints of their comic strip.

I guess when they said web comics were not a smart move they did not know what they were talking about.

Granted, the average web comic probably does not make that and probably has a full time job. I am always impressed by those web comic artists that do their webcomic full time.
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many people work for Penny Arcade? Is it more than 60? Does somebody there have a health condition that makes it cost a million dollars a year to stay alive?

And how do we know they're advertising model makes that much money for them? I think if their advertising model made that much money, at some point I would have seen a picture of her.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brady kj wrote:
How many people work for Penny Arcade? Is it more than 60? Does somebody there have a health condition that makes it cost a million dollars a year to stay alive?

And how do we know they're advertising model makes that much money for them? I think if their advertising model made that much money, at some point I would have seen a picture of her.

Bada boom! Brady is here all week folks, tip your waitress. Nudge Nudge

Their office staff that works for them is under 20, I believe.
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I love about the internet. Somehow people here know when I'm joking, unlike in real life. Those nonverbal cues are highly overrated.
As for the 1.4 million dollars. Wow. I don't know what to say. I don't think Penny Arcade's that good.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brady kj wrote:
That's what I love about the internet. Somehow people here know when I'm joking, unlike in real life. Those nonverbal cues are highly overrated.
As for the 1.4 million dollars. Wow. I don't know what to say. I don't think Penny Arcade's that good.

The downside to the internet is jokes and sarcasm does not always cross over and many get heated over not realizing something was a joke.

Art wise, Mike, does some fantastic work. Not counting his fingers on his characters. His backgrounds and textures are phenomenal. The jokes can be hit or miss. They have a genre and they stick to it. And they push the bounds for their work. As opposed to just drawing stick figures, or using clip art in their work.

And that 1.4 is just what their advertising does. That is not to mention how much they do in sales of their merchandise. Or what they bring in from shows, such as Pax East and Pax Prime. Their tv show, and apparently their new reality show that is coming.

I would be curious to know what Gabe and Tycho themselves make. If you've seen their show they have gorgeous houses.

Of course Penny Arcade is probably a rare exception, they are more a business then just a comic strip.
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never knew they had a TV show.

And for the sarcasm thing, nobody seems to get my sarcasm in real life anymore. I haven't had that problem on the internet in years.

Apparently I look confused all the time, and it makes people think I really am stupid.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
Tulsileaf
Mink Sith Lord

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will pay you $7,500 to intern there. Oops, I got that backwards.
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also kind of crazy they were able to raise 500k to help them fund themselves for a year.

That there, is star power.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Tavern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: