Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

General Reading Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: General Reading Discussion Reply with quote

Since we have one on movies, why not one on books? Books? Who reads books, anymore? :D

I am currently reading the Scott Pilgrim series. I have finished the first 5 with the last one to go. I loved the movie, and thought it was about time to learn the full story. They are relatively cheap at 11 bucks a pop.

The books are fantastic. The full in so many holes from the movie to understand what is fully going on. A lot of dialogue is the same from the movies. The major difference is, obviously a lot of cut from the books, and the a lot of the movie fights were not the same as in the book. The books were longer and had more going on. If you loved the movie I recommend picking up the books.

After reading the books they are making me want to start writing again, and maybe even doing some illustrating with them as well. I don't think I would do a web comic. After all everyone has a web comic these days. Rolling Eyes
XiaoCaity
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheeeeee! Books!

At the moment I'm re-reading Perdido Street Station. About half-way through, when it gets dark and twisted, I have to read in very short stints because the fate worse than death gives me the most horrific nightmares....

I'm looking forward to buying the Castle tie-in book Heat Wave, apparently it's not brilliant but it's fun and I have gotten SO hooked on Castle...
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familiar with those books you mention. Embarrassed

I just finished the Scott Pilgrim series and I loved it. That is the one thing about finished a series. You invest so much into the characters and are sad to see them go. Just like how many are feeling about the end of Harry Potter.

I have a few books on deck. I have a tendency to buy books and end up either starting and not finishing or not starting at all. I have The Force Unleashed, Dragon Age books to read.

The book I am currently reading called The Left Hand of God.
XiaoCaity
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perdido Street Station is by China Mieville and is pretty much the book to read if you enjoy steampunk and/or really unusual fantasy. It gets really dark in places, but also takes some VERY funny pot-shots at D&D. He kids because he loves. :D

Like I said, I'm only buying Heat Wave because it ties in with the Castle TV series and I luuuuuuuurve Castle. It's funny and witty and weird~ Not to mention seriously well-written and well-acted.

You'll have to let us know if the Dragon Age books are good, I tend to avoid tie-in books for games because they're usually... not that good. i.e. Crap.
Tulsileaf
Mink Sith Lord

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are these "books" you speak of and where can I find one?
XiaoCaity
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're a hard-copy website. You can find them in the mysterious temples of Angus and Robertson and Barnes and Noble.
MrPasserby
Courtier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading a bit of Le Carre recently. He's a really good author, but I have to ration myself--his recent books (what I like to call his "rage" period) are so depressing. This is a problem, as I've pretty much mined out the decent authors at the local library.

Last week I experimented with some new authors, with disappointing results. This week I decided to delve into non-fiction instead--something I haven't done voluntarily since college. (I still remember that book--a '50s-era proposal for interstellar colonization. Gut-bustingly hilarious when it wasn't head-poundingly stupid.) The experiment turned out well. I'm halfway through a history of the Peace Corps, and it's absolutely fascinating. It appears that I can put off extensive use of inter-library loan for a while longer. Cheese!

I've also got the strongest urge to reread The Neverending Story again. This is entirely understandable, but why now I wonder?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Tavern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: