Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

Japan Tsunami
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Japan Tsunami Reply with quote

As the day goes on, we're all likely to hear a lot more about this.

Japan got hit by an earthquake that registered 8.9 on the richter scale.
Then, it got worse as a massive tsunami hit. sweeping debris miles inland.
So far, 5 confirmed deaths and several injuries have been reported

So, thoughts for Japan. Prayers if they're your style. The same for Hawaii, as the tsunami is likely to deal some frightening damage there fairly soon (actually a few minutes ago if I've got my time zones right). With the west coast of North America getting hit fairly soon afterwords.

Link to MSN story:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42023385...fic/?gt1=43001
Mink Sith Lord

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/usc0001xgp.html
http://www.weather.gov/ptwc/
XiaoCaity
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reactor that was in trouble this time yesterday has blown. Time will tell what the effects are, but I think we all agree this is BAD.
Tulsileaf
Mink Sith Lord

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/RS_Battle_to_stabilise_earthquake_reactors_1203111.html
http://twitter.com/arclight/status/46504474772127744 this is the current guess
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, it's crazy, 10k plus lives lost. My thoughts are with all those affected by such an incident.

It's been a crazy year with such things. Japan, Australia, Haiti.

I'm sure the church is just screaming this is the beginning of end times. Rolling Eyes
Zela
Spark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my church isn't talking about end times, so don't roll yer eyes at me, laddie. XD
But don't forget New Zealand! They had an earthquake too! Or is that the same as the Australia one? (I don't listen to the news Embarrassed )
I'm convinced that the west coast of North America's next on the Ring of Fire, and since that's where I live...
<_<
>_>
*hides*
The unjust hath the just's umbrella
-Ogden Nash
XiaoCaity
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had floods and a frighteningly powerful cyclone here in Australia. New Zealand just got hit by a quake that came THIS close to wiping Christchurch right off the map. Looks like they're going to have to demolish a big chunk of what survived, too.

Earth is apparently royally pissed at us right now.
b4k4-chan
Spark

Location: Somewhere bribing Cupid to shoot Kiku when Gauth is around

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, whaddaya know...looks like the Mayans were right!

Good thing that also means that 2012 is the year everything starts to change for the better :3

I hope Japan and all the other places that were hit with the same or similar things will be okay soon ♥

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b4k4-chan wrote:
Well, whaddaya know...looks like the Mayans were right!

Good thing that also means that 2012 is the year everything starts to change for the better :3

I hope Japan and all the other places that were hit with the same or similar things will be okay soon ♥

The Mayans didn't predict the end of the world, or destruction. That is what others turned the end of their long term calender into.

It's been happening many many times before. The earth does what the earth does. It changes, and grows.
MrPasserby
Courtier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earth's no angrier than usual. As the human population grows, we're packing more and more people into places we know are dangerous. It's just a matter of statistics: the location, frequency, and intensity of earthquakes can be offset by disaster preparedness, but the fact remains: the more people are in an area, the more casualties you're going to get.

I understand that Japan is very good with disaster preparedness, but they just had rotten luck this time. They came out remarkably well from the shaking itself--at 9.0 (yes, it's been upgraded) it's the 4th largest ever recorded--but being so close offshore meant there was very little time to prepare for the tsunami, which is almost certainly what caused most of the deaths.

(I also had some comments on weather-based disasters and the 2012 silliness, but decided to remove them. This is enough of a lecture as it is. That's bad enough in school, let alone from random people on the Internet!)

Zela: I wouldn't be concerned that you're "next"... but you should be prepared anyway. If you're already prepared, you're precisely as safe as you were before. If you're not, well, you should take it as a wake up call! Do some research on the type of home you live in, evaluate the safety of your furniture (install latches and bolt things down where appropriate), learn the location of your utility cut-offs, keep a "disaster kit", and MAKE A PLAN! The USGS website has a good FAQ to get started.

Actually, everyone should do a little disaster planning, no matter where they live. There are very few completely safe places to live on this planet--and they're probably boring. Rolling Eyes

My thoughts have been with the Japanese ever since I heard about the quake. The devastation is heartbreaking, and they're not through yet. I just hope that the nuclear situation doesn't get any worse, though that seem unlikely at present. (Two reactor explosions, high possibility of a third soon, US Navy redeploying warships away from a radiation plume, and now the wind is turning back inland... doesn't look good.)

Man, there's no good way to end a post like this. Just... be safe, all of you, OK?

edit: Apparently I'm farther behind the news that I thought. (That's what I get for avoiding TV.) For those of you who haven't been following the situation, there was a third explosion (at the most worrisome reactor) and 90% of the emergency personnel have been pulled from the site. They've basically given up. This is really, really bad.

Last edited by MrPasserby on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Tavern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: