Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

General Movie Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see317 wrote:

Just got up after getting back.
That was fun, but I don't think I'll be doing that again (well, until next time something like this comes up).

Still don't understand why people feel it necessary to cheer for title screens. We know you're excited, we could tell by the way you just sat through 11 hours of movies in order to see the premiere of the movie your watching...

Also, brief, spoiler free review of The Avengers,
If you enjoyed the five movies leading up to this one, you'll enjoy it.
If you didn't like the five movies, or haven't seen them all, you'll likely be a little lost and confused. They waste approximately no time at all rehashing back story.

With all the characters in the Avengers movie there wouldn't be any time to delve into a back story of each character. If they did the movie would be at least 6 hours long.

I guess Marvel has abandoned the Hulk movie that Ang Lee had done as being canon? As I noticed it was completely absent from that lineup as well as in a behind the scenes video for Avengers they claimed Marvel's first movie was Iron Man. Obviously not counting the Spiderman franchise, which I cannot believe they are rebooting already.

People probably cheered for the title screen, because after 11 hours in a theater on is kind of tired and ready to get out of there. I know when I went to midnight showing of Transformers 2 and Harry Potter it is intense when you are waiting an hour for the movie to start and then add on the time of the movie to it.
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't saying that the lack of a backstory on the main characters was a bad thing, or a good thing. Just that it is a thing. If you hadn't seen the whole series (and aren't familiar with the heroes from other sources) chances are you won't really know what's going on in The Avengers.

Now I'm just waiting for the special Avengers DVD set, with all 6 films.
It'll happen, I'm sure.
Spark

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked The Avengers a lot! I thought Black Widow and Hawkeye would be sidelined in this movie, but they totally weren't. And we learned more about them in this movie than the others.
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before the movie, I thought I would be happier to see Ant-Man and the Wasp than those two. But now I'm very pleased with them, and I'm hoping there will be either a Black Widow or a Hawkeye movie in the near future.
I thought the movie was a lot of fun.

For most of the movie, I suspected that a movie with this many superheroes can't have enough focus to make a scene that could make me really care about the characters, like Captain America and Thor did. But then the climactic scene came, and it was awesome.

I only have two complaints: 1) Jane Foster wasn't in it. She would have made me happier. Moreso than Antman and the Wasp, I wish Jane was in it. And her student employee, too. They're more interesting than Erik Selvig.
and 2) Loki still is much too serious! Why can't Marvel make an evil prankster Loki?

brady-kj.deviantart.com
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Movie Thread, I'm back!
I saw Battleship earlier. I'll admit I went in with low expectations. I mean really low expectations. I mean "Dumb and Dumber got a sequel that doesn't actually have the stars from Dumb and Dumber in it? levels of low expectations.

I also have to admit that I was thoroughly and pleasently surprised. It's a very entertaining popcorn flick. Don't go if you're expecting deep character growth or Shakespeare levels of dialogue. But if you want to go watch stuff blow up for a few hours but don't want to see Avengers again (or wait for MIB3 next week) then you could do far worse then Battleship.
Really, it was cool just seeing the navy get a chance to fight aliens instead of that job going to the Air Force or the Marines.

I also saw Dark Shadows last week, and was less entertained. I don't know why, but the entire film was just bleh. The acting, the story, the half dozen deus ex machinas (should that be Dei ex Machina?) pulled out in the last act... It was just a thoroughly mediocre film. I went in expecting to see something along the lines of The Addam's Family movies (RIP Raul Julia, you're the best Gomez ever). Instead I got 2 hours of bleh. It wasn't even two hours of bad. It was like eating tofu, it's there but it doesn't taste like anything good or bad.
I'm going to borrow a quote from the Penny Arcade forums, that does a much better job explaining this then I am:
Quote:
Just got back from Dark Shadows. I don't think it deserves an in-depth breakdown, because Burton clearly didn't seem interested in creating an involving experience. Strange, as this film has been a long-gestating passion project for both Burton and Depp, that the final result is so flat and empty and tonally schizophrenic. I don't know if this film was supposed to be a comedy or a campy drama or a metacommentary on any of the several genres it apes, but it fails utterly to state itself as overtly anything at all. Depp, Carter, and Pfeiffer all bring their A-game, but all of them always seem lost in the scenes, unaware of what they're supposed to be feeling or how to propel the plot. It's mostly a loose connection of vignettes until an abrupt and lackluster ending that has not one, but THREE deus ex machina, and absolutely no denouement whatsoever.

Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got to seeing Avengers.. It was a great flick. It had a lot of great one liners. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. There were many people that were pissed that Spiderman was not in the flick. Not counting the fact that Spiderman was not an original Avenger. There was no actual way to put him in the movie. As they rebooted Spiderman so the new Spiderman is not Spiderman yet. So they couldn't use him, and it would make no sense to use the old Spiderman when the new one was taking over.
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, it's more about which studio has the rights to which Marvel properties that kept Spider-Man out of The Avengers rather then any intention on the studios part to keep internal consistency.
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see317 wrote:
As I understand it, it's more about which studio has the rights to which Marvel properties that kept Spider-Man out of The Avengers rather then any intention on the studios part to keep internal consistency.

If that is the case I bet they are cussing themselves after seeing how much Avenges is cleaning up with sales. Though I'm sure no one thought it would do what it has.

Anyone see MIB3 yet? I have heard it was not all that good.

Snow White and the Huntsman looks good. Even though Kristen Stewart can not act. I saw her accept an award on Nick once and she stumbled through the reception of the award. It was a train wreck and a little sad to see.
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That and the fact that superheroes meeting each other in movies is a major break from tradition. I'm not sure they would have thought to integrate Spider-Man into the same universe the first place, even though it would be awesome.

I'm anxious to watch MIB3 myself. But I was sat to learn it wasn't about the origin of the organization. Whatever it's about, I'm sure it can't be as bad as the second one.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIB3 was pretty entertaining. It wasn't as good as the first one, but it was considerably more entertaining then the second. I wish we had seen more of the alien badguy actually looking like an alien, for the most part he just looks like a biker with a prosthetic forehead and one arm. The only time he actually does go full alien it only lasts for a second or two. Kind of disappointing after the big bug fight in the first one and the giant plant monster fight in the second.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Tavern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: