Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

General Movie Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the biggest problems could have been resolved by finding a different villian for the first movie.
Granted, I'm not a big comic reader, but I wouldn't think you'd start a new IP by having your rookie hero go after an ancient eldritch abomination that eats planets and has systematically obliterated a dozen other heroes each more experienced then the rookie hero. There's so much exposition that has to take place between introducing the protagonist, getting him his powers and finally getting enough self confidence to be a hero, oh yeah and a love interest that has to be uninterested at first then accidentally fall in love... Then to add in a primer on the history of the Corps and the Guardians, then add in oh yeah, that one guardian went rogue and now eats planets as a hobby... It's a lot to try to cram into a 90 minute film.

It felt like the pacing was just way, way off what it should have been.
Meh, still better then The Last Airbender.
Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one thing with origin movies there is just so much going on that if not done properly it can be a confusing train wreck. As well as you have such a huge story to try and tell in such a short amount of time.

You are right that this powerful entity, that even the creators of the green lanterns fear. This rookie that was only trained with the Corp for about 2 minutes is going to take it on. They should of started with a lesser villain, and saved the planet consuming force for the 3rd movie, cause you know it's probably gonna be a trilogy.

Yes, definitely better than Air Bender. Speaking of which are you aware that there is new tv mini series with the Avatar Universe coming up this November? Following the next Avatar 70 years later. Shame it's only a mini series and not a full cartoon.
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it yesterday. That was the worst superhero movie ever! None of the characters were relatable, neither of the villains were scary, and the movie began with a narrator who just kept talking for 20 minutes! They don't know the fundamental rule of show, don't tell.
I think that when DC makes a live action film, its writers should be required to buy the animated films and take heavy notes on what those people did right. Maybe they should hire the animation people to write their scripts.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, ladies and gentlemen, once again the summer movie blitz is upon us.
I'm a bit late reviving this thread, but I hope I can be forgiven.
Saw John Carter a few weeks ago. Good flick, but it's pretty much doomed to be a failure due to absolutely terrible marketing. Apparently the guy in charge of marketing this film was under the impression that century old pulp sci-fi heroes are still in the common consciousness and thought that just "John Carter" would be enough to sell tickets. It's a shame, cause they're good books that have been mined to some extent in so many other films it's amazing.

Rented "God Bless America" from On-demand yesterday, don't think I can really recommend it. It's basically an average joe ranting about how America isn't what it should be while he goes on a cross country shooting spree killing people who are jerks. It had some funny bits, but mostly... just meh. Rent Falling Down instead, it's cheaper and actually had a story line.

And the reason I'm bringing this thread back from the grave: The Cabin in the Woods. I can't really say anything without spoiling the movie, but this is one you should see.

So, what have you been watching? What are you looking forward to? What snacks are you taking out another mortgage to be able to afford?
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, for movies that I'm looking forward to, I'm hoping I can use some vacation that I haven't earned and spend a day nerding out with (and the following day recovering from) this:
http://go.amctheatres.com/marvel
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am upset that my current movie theater has been closed and they are renovating it. So who knows how long it will be closed.

I have not seen movies in the theater, lately. The last couple I saw turned out to be bad movies and left a sour taste in my mouth. Like Straw Dogs. The trailers looked so good for it... The movie did not live up to its own trailers.

What I do want to see is Avengers, and The Dark Knight Rises.

That is hardcore, See, to be seeing 6 movies back to back. I couldn't do it in a theater.
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw John Carter too, and was a little disappointed. The whole time I was thinking "The n00bs won't understand this!" I was also baffled as to why it didn't include Mars in the title.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brady kj wrote:
I saw John Carter too, and was a little disappointed. The whole time I was thinking "The n00bs won't understand this!" I was also baffled as to why it didn't include Mars in the title.

The two theories I've heard is that Disney didn't want Mars in any titles so soon after the absolute flop that was Mars Needs Moms, and that the director still believed that John Carter was an iconic enough name that it would be enough. Kind of like you might know what a movie was about if it was titled "Han Solo" or "James Tiberius Kirk".

Still, it was a good flick, just a shame that it was crippled by it's marketing.

Also, I got my vacation approved, so I get to go veg out in a movie theater for 13-14 hours. I'm a little scared to be honest, that's a lot of nerdage to take in at one time.
Royalty

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see317 wrote:

Also, I got my vacation approved, so I get to go veg out in a movie theater for 13-14 hours. I'm a little scared to be honest, that's a lot of nerdage to take in at one time.

If you are going today for the Marvel Movie-Bonanza I wish you much luck for sitting there through all of those movies. I would hope they have an intermission periodically.

And hopefully the nerdage does not explode your head. That gets messy.
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young wrote:
see317 wrote:

If you are going today for the Marvel Movie-Bonanza I wish you much luck for sitting there through all of those movies. I would hope they have an intermission periodically.

And hopefully the nerdage does not explode your head. That gets messy.

Just got up after getting back.
That was fun, but I don't think I'll be doing that again (well, until next time something like this comes up).

Still don't understand why people feel it necessary to cheer for title screens. We know you're excited, we could tell by the way you just sat through 11 hours of movies in order to see the premiere of the movie your watching...

Also, brief, spoiler free review of The Avengers,
If you enjoyed the five movies leading up to this one, you'll enjoy it.
If you didn't like the five movies, or haven't seen them all, you'll likely be a little lost and confused. They waste approximately no time at all rehashing back story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Tavern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: