Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

General Movie Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I love you...

On the topic of movies...
Just saw the new Fast and the Furious movie. Much better then I was expecting. It was like they took Fast and the Furious, put it in the blender with Oceans 11,12 and 13 and put the blender on "Awesome".

If I had to point to a downside, it's that you really need to watch the previous 4 F&F movies, as they bring back cast members from all of them with little reintroduction. Still, was an entertaining movie far better then any fourth sequel has any right to be.
Spark

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I may watch that one after all! I've seen them all except Tokyo Drift.

Did anyone see Sucker Punch? I really really liked that one. I thought it was a fun movie. Well, the imaginary world parts were fun. I liked how the fantasies represented what happened, I just think that's cool. I guess it got mostly negative reviews, though.
Shadowstorm
Noble

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after a relatively disappointing couple of months in theaters (for me, at least. Last movie I watched was Tron Legacy), it seems like alot of movies are catching my eye for this summer. Green Lantern, Super 8, and Captain America.

Just watched Thor on Friday. I thought it was decent. Thought it was better than Iron Man 2, anyway.

And I watched Battlebots all the time. I always wanted to watch one of those tournaments in person. My favorite robots were Disector and Ziggo.
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see317 wrote:

Well, from what I've heard, the British version of the show that was aired was the distillation of several hours of actual improv work per episode, so any bit that fell short could be edited out. The American version didn't film for as long, so any bit that fell short was more likely to make it onto the air. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching the American version too (and it has some downright hilarious moments), it just seemed a pale imitation after the original. Then again I do enjoy dry humor so your mileage may vary.

For comparison, have you watched Carrey's new show? Improv-a-ganza or something like that. He's essentially reassembled the cast of Who's Line and the Drew Carrey show for an improv show. Problem is they only have like three games a show on the episodes that I've seen. The bits go on too long and they just stop being funny and they just keep going.

As for Robot Wars, yesm can't argue that it was better with the British announcers. Still think Battle Bots was a better show and competition though. Really wish we could get some new shows along these lines. Need more robotic combat.

I used to love Whose Line is it Anyways. I only saw a couple of the British episodes so I can't really say which version was better. Since they were pretty much the same cast on both shows I don't know if there would be much difference. Other than perhaps segments.

I always thought the segments with Drew were the weakest segments for the show. He wasn't really that funny as an improv guy. I always liked Ryan and Colin, and the occasional Grep Proops. Not just because his last name makes me laugh. Wayne Brady on the other hand was always overacting every scene he was in. I guess he was trying to steal the show from everyone else. Probably why all his other shows he did bombed because he wasn't all that funny. That Chip guy was ok. I mainly just liked Ryan, Colin, and Greg.

Just last week I saw an add on GSN for Drews new show. Not really sure why they ended the one show just to create it all over again with a different name. I haven't seen any of it, however.

Back to the topic at hand. I saw Thor over the weekend, and I liked it. I thought it was good. I may even see it again. I am thinking I may see Priest as well. Looks decent. Even though they are over saturating the Vampire market. Speaking of over saturating what is with all the Aliens movies lately? Skyline, District 9, Cowboys and Aliens, Super 8. Technically Transformers is a movie about Aliens.. And the Trailers for this new one looks like they may have a good movie, finally. Though I'm a little sad that Fox is not in it.. Just because they built up this chemistry between her and Shia just to not have her in it.. Granted, that was her own fault in biting the hand that feed her.

Cowboys and Aliens looks a little dumb.
XiaoCaity
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really, really liked District 9, actually. It was very powerful. It was completely unlike any sci-fi movie I've really seen before.

I'm still bummed I missed Skyline, but I was too damn sick to see it. Foo.

I'm hoping they'll make a new reboot Trek movie m'self, I really like the idea of the reboot 'verse.
Zela
Spark

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't watched any new movies recently (although the old Chariots of Fire is always a good bet; anyone seen that?) so I'm going to talk about the other thing.

Ryan and Colin are pretty awesome. I greatly admire Wayne for his ability to sing, which, y'know, Colin can't, soooo... he may overact but I still luv him. (And Jeff. :D ) The other guys are all pretty good; some of the ladies were not as good as the rest, but Greg and Brad fit right in.

From what I've read... somewhere... TVTropes? the new Drew Carey Improv-a-Ganza is not a remake or continuation of Whose Line. It's just an improv show with a lot of the same people. I haven't actually seen any of it so I can't comment, but it sounds like getting disappointed because it's not more Whose Line is not what they're going for. (shrug)

My friend Thor (no joke) is disappointed in his namesake movie. For one thing (he says) Natalie Portman only says his name once. Razz (I didn't even know there was a movie called Thor coming out so you can see how much in the loop I am)
The unjust hath the just's umbrella
-Ogden Nash
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XiaoCaity wrote:
I really, really liked District 9, actually. It was very powerful. It was completely unlike any sci-fi movie I've really seen before.

I'm still bummed I missed Skyline, but I was too damn sick to see it. Foo.

I'm hoping they'll make a new reboot Trek movie m'self, I really like the idea of the reboot 'verse.

I heard Skyline was kind of cheesy with it's jokes...

Personally I am tired of seeing the same cliches over and over again. The Aliens coming to this world to destroy us, or harvest us.. It's old and tiring. Let's change it up some and have us go after them... Or how about another Alien movie where they are just looking for contact like we are.

Oh, and on DVD Tangled is fantastic. If you haven't seen it I highly recommend it. It's probably one of my favorite Disney animated flicks in a long time. Not counting anything Pixar. I did not really like the Princess and The Frog. I think Lilo and Stitch would probably be my last favorite one from them.
Aja
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tangled is awesome. Cheese! I think Maximus was my favorite character. From the trailers I saw, I assumed he'd be the standard "rogue's animal sidekick," but he was very much... not. *snrk* Loved the fencing scene with the sword and the frying pan.

The roomie and I also recently saw Despicable Me, which was surprisingly adorable. I think Vector is now on my Top 10 list of favorite antagonists. (Such a perfect combination of incompetence and self-confidence. "OH yeaaah!")

Best movie I've seen this year has to be Megamind, though. From the trailer, it looked like the entire movie would be coyote-and-roadrunner-style hijinks with the villain battling the hero -- but apparently all the trailer footage was from the first few minutes of the film. That was a big surprise, and several of the other plot twists caught me off guard, too. (It's a good thing I didn't read the back of the DVD case until after I'd watched it all -- turns out it pretty much summarizes the entire plot.) Rolling Eyes

Anyway! I could fangirl for ages, but in short: Loved the art style (cartoony enough to be cute and expressive, but realistic enough to make the action scenes awesome). Loved the characters (most sympathetic antihero ever). Loved the pacing (so many fun moments in every scene). Loved the story (you can see several places where the writers deliberately avoided an overused trope, much to my delight).

And loved the soundtrack. ♥ George Thorogood, AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, Michael Jackson...

*swoons*

...so good.
Zela
Spark

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hee. I want to see Tangled. I'm kind of on a fantasy movie binge this week... I also want to see Megamind! The trailer looks fun. Thanks for the heads up on the DVD cover, though.

I finally watched How to Train Your Dragon this week. And then I watched it five more times because I love it so much. I'm buying the soundtrack, too. I'm also watching the new Narnia movies this week but I haven't gotten to them yet. Then I have to watch the old ones to compare. : P
The unjust hath the just's umbrella
-Ogden Nash
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Fantasy Movies, don't know if you guys knew or not, but some AMC Theaters are showing the extended versions of LotR this month.

Local show times will likely vary, but out here they're only doing one showing of each, starting at 7pm on tuesdays through the month. This is not convenient for most people. For me though, that puts it square in the middle of my weekend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Tavern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: