Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

General Movie Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but writers could avoid screwing up a lot of stuff with a half hours research.
Matrix: Any first year physics student should be able to point out that you will never get as much energy out of a system as is put in, so using humans as a power supply is a losing battle.
Event Horizon: Any engineer would be able to tell you that you shouldn't use non-load bearing structures as a place to park your space ship. They'd also be able to tell you that it's stupid to put non-load bearing structures right next to the main hatch on a ship just to prevent idiots from trying to park there.

Actually, pretty much any sci-fi movie runs into this. Someday, they'll make a perfect sci-fi movie, with realistic physics, a well written plot and deep detailed characters that you can actually care about. Then they'll ruin it with crappy sequels.
Noble

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the hell out of Inception. My wife hated it. But she hates everything that she suspects I get and she doesn't. I've heard the movie described as deep or layered but it didn't seem that way to me. There was a very simple and explicitly handled mechanic governing time and the way the human brain works in dreams and they stuck to it. It made it very easy for me to appreciate the visual effects without constantly struggling to figure out why things were happening. They could have gone REALLy off the wall with the dream world but they didn't and think it was a good choice. The only problem i had was I thought it was going to be all about the crazy physics and junk because of the trailer which showed zero gravity battles and folding landscape. But then you watched the movie and saw that you had seen all the best visual effects in the trailer.

I gotta say thought I hated Ellen Page in this role. She bothered me in the exact same way that Mila Kunis bothered me in The Book of Eli. I have yet to see the movie where I enjoyed watching the plucky young girl who never listens to instruction, yet manages to hang in and hold her own with a bunch of seasoned vets. In Inception I felt strongly that you could just pluck her right out of the and the rest of the characters could absorb her duties to the movie's ultimate benefit. Why was this young girl who everyone just met the only one who cared enough to find out Cobb's "secret"? She insisted that she go along on the job cus she was the only one who really new what was going on with him but what did she do to justify her being there? I also kind of hate her face a little.
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inception also annoyed me in that the totems where never used aside from the top. I mean, they spend 5 to 10 minutes introducing them, telling what they are and what they do. Then another part showing plucky naive girl making her own (by boring out a chess piece? What was it supposed to do to tip off that she was in a dream?). And then they never use or mention them again.

Also, saw Predators today.
Never, in my entire movie watching history, has a film so managed to be exactly what I expected. This isn't good or bad in itself, I'm just saying I walked in expecting x, walked out having seen x. It was kind of impressive, really.
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I've pulled myself out of the pit of classes, illness and annoying plotbunnies that simply WILL NOT LET GO (I love them anyway) to return to you!

Since I was here last, I've seen both Iron Man 2 and Prince of Persia.

Iron Man 2... I expected some badass armoured fun with Robert Downey Junior enjoying the role and that was pretty much exactly what I got. It wasn't groundbreaking, but it was fun.

Prince of Persia surprised me. I really was expecting a mindless display of sand effects and parkour, and to my surprise there was a pretty damn good plot and great characters in there too. The sand-travel effects were so gorgeous it almost hurt, the Prince and his family grew on me very quickly, and they managed to resolve the story neatly without it being too pat. Colour me impressed.

I'm waiting for The Sorcerer's Apprentice now because it looks like a LOT of fun and I like Nick Cage movies (damn Australian release dates!!), and I'm probably going to see The Last Airbender simply because I have very little that's better to do.
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went and saw Scott Pilgrim vs the World. I was not familiar with the books of this, so I had no impressions going into the movie. It was actually funnier than I thought it would be. And for the most part makes a good stand alone movie, in not needing to have the backstory from the books to know what is going on.
Aja
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear that the Prince of Persia movie is actually well done. :D I really want to see that one.

Oh! I finally saw Alice in Wonderland! And it was neat! ...And the Tweedles were totally rockin' the Uncanny Valley effect, which... didn't really bother me, oddly enough. I think it's because they had such normal voices. If they'd been given "funny" cartoon voices, that definitely would've been nightmare fuel.

Come to think of it, Stayne's stick-figure limbs creeped me out at least as much as the Tweedles did. Maybe a little more. >_>

But more importantly: Why did no one tell me that Johnny Depp has a Scottish accent in that movie? Scottish accents and Johnny Depp are... two great things that I never thought I'd see together. (And yet the combination seems so right.)
Amarath
Noble

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone seen Vampires suck?
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amarath wrote:
Has anyone seen Vampires suck?

Sorry, no. I can't bring myself to spend theatre prices on that one.

Which is odd, because last week I saw Expendables in the theatre thus proving I have poor taste and decision making abilities.

Also: Scott Pilgrim. Very enjoyable movie.
Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally saw Alice In Wonderland yesterday. I completely and utterly second Aja's comment about Johnny Depp and the scottish accent. VERY interesting. Much approval.

I was initially unimpressed by it, but once the story really got rolling I couldn't help but enjoy it. For me, there were two moments that completely defined the movie for me.

"I am Alice! I make the path!"

And her Six Impossible Things. I adored that, I have to admit.

Also, I got a copy of Unseen Academicals today. :D I'm going to have so much fun with this book, I come from Sport-INSANE Australia so it's going to be a complete hoot!
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw the new Resident Evil today.
An entertaining movie, though I wouldn't call it good. May have been better if I hadn't stopped playing the games after those nightmares I got from RE:2.

Movie probably would have been much less entertaining if I had seen it in 2d though. My wallet and car insurance payment are telling me that this isn't an experiment I'll be conducting though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Tavern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: