Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

General Movie Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see317 wrote:

I heard the same thing about Air Bender. Depressing, I was looking forward to it.

On the other hand Predators is coming out on friday. That's going to live up to expectations, right?

Yea, it's a shame since I had such huge hope for this movie. But he changed a lot of the movie, including using the asian enunciations of the names of an American show. Confused

As well as leaving out key characters from the show, and not building an character relations between them. He did keep key scenes from the show into the movie, but that was all the movie really was. Scenes going from one to the next with no real story to them.

I don't really have any interest in seeing Predators, but Despicable Me looks like it may be pretty funny.
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed that nobody mentioned A-Team. I loved that film (except for Murdock). A flying tank is a brilliant idea.

And have any of you seen Jonah Hex? I haven't heard how it was yet. I really wanted to see it, but my friend insisted on watching the A-Team instead. I wasn't expecting much from Jonah Hex, but I figure that whenever DC successfully manages to make a movie, I have to reward DC whether the movie's any good or not, or else they'll never start making good films. Kind of like rewarding little kids for the crappy pictures they draw.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reviews I've read of Jonah Hex said it was terrible. It butchered his origins and the story was weak and confusing. At the time it came out it was considered a shoe-in for worst movie of the year. Then the Avatar movie came out and took that title with ease. (so sad about that movie. It could and should have been so much more.)

I've heard that A-team was pretty entertaining, but haven't seen it.
Haven't seen Toy Story either, or Predators, or Inception... Damnit, there's a lot of movies that I want to see.

Have seen Despicable Me though. Was pretty entertaining, if more then a little predictable. The Minions need their own movie though, little guys are too entertaining.

As for rewarding DC for making a movie in the hopes that they'll eventually make a good one... why would they bother if they can get your money with crap? You don't applaud when your dog pees on the carpet hoping that one day he'll go outside on his own, you rub his nose in it, and paddle him with a rolled up paper so he knows that's not what he's supposed to do.
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever see Air Bender, See?

I have not seen Jonah Hex, but I beleive Megan Fox is up for a Razzie for that film for worst actress. That just goes to show you that you should never bite the hand that feeds you.

I have not seen Despicable Me. I want to. It looks funny. Mega Mind looks good as well. Though I'm like one of the few people that do not think Will Ferrell is funny. He was good when he was serious in that movie where he is a living book character. But the rest of his roles have been done before, and done better.

I have mixed opinions of the sorcerers apprentice, but may see. Not sure. It's not high on my to do list. I didn't see Eclipse as the first two movies are just plain terrible. The acting is so bad in the movies it kills them. Let alone the story. I will give it some originality with the emo characters that she has in them.

The trailer for Deathly Hollows blows me away every time I see it. Even if it's sad to see that the franchise is ending soon.
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see, DC doesn't damage my carpet with its movies. It just comes up with a lot of movie ideas and then chickens out of making them because it's worried I'll be disappointed. After I give it a little encouragement to make movies, it'll start making as many movies as Marvel does. And by then I'll start being selective. It's the principle of shaping. Now, when a DC executive comes to my place and pees on my carpet, I'll rub his nose in it and then tell him to start making decent movies, but until then this is the only way to train them.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brady kj wrote:
Now, when a DC executive comes to my place and pees on my carpet, I'll rub his nose in it and then tell him to start making decent movies, but until then this is the only way to train them.

You're so lucky this hasn't happened to you.

Every week one of those bastards shows up at my house just to pee on the carpet. It's getting tiresome.
Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd say don't change the locks and don't give them copies of your new keys. But I have a better idea. Next time one of them comes, tell him to make an awesome movie about Booster Gold, and then one about the Justice League International. And if he doesn't, then lock him in a kennel until he does.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brady kj wrote:
Well, I'd say don't change the locks and don't give them copies of your new keys. But I have a better idea. Next time one of them comes, tell him to make an awesome movie about Booster Gold, and then one about the Justice League International. And if he doesn't, then lock him in a kennel until he does.

I've tried that. Then they keep coming over. Big puppy dog eyes and promises that they'll never pee on the carpet again. I can't stop myself, before I know it they've got all the money in my wallet and the new set of keys.

Also, saw Inception last night.
Amazing visuals, especially after seeing that most of the shots were done without CGI. The hallway fight... just wow, you can't get CG people to move like that.
Story was entertaining, but seems to have confused a lot of people on other boards.
I'm either a genius, or missed something because what I saw made sense to me. Also, appearently there's a lot of psychology stuff that's been dumbed down or outright misused in the movie, but I'm not a psych student so I missed and/or ignored it.
Spark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I really liked Inception. I like everything Christopher Nolan directs. I understood it, but I love how they don't even touch on just how they're psychically linked, unless I missed it. It's just a magical machine in a suitcase. I don't mind that, though, it doesn't really matter. I think what's really going on and the ending might be open to interpretation, but mostly I think the very last scene was just meant to be stylish, not a mind screw.

It bothered me how arrogant Leonardo DiCaprio's character was. It made him kind of unsympathetic to me, but that's just his character (and it provided some great conflict) and I think he grew by the end. He clearly healed, at least.

I looked up Ariadne, which I thought was an interesting name (I have Behind The Name.com bookmarked...)

Ariadne: Means "most holy", composed of the Cretan Greek elements αρι (ari) "most" and αδνος (adnos) "holy". In Greek mythology, Ariadne was the daughter of King Minos. She fell in love with Theseus and helped him to escape the Labyrinth and the Minotaur, but was later abandoned by him. Eventually she married the god Dionysus.

I watched The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo the other day and really liked it. It's a great mystery film.
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumbed-down or misused psychology? Now I want to see it. I'm always amused by that sort of thing, since basic psychology is pretty easy and writers just have to do a half hour of research to avoid screwing it up as badly as they do.
But that doesn't mean it's not a good movie, in the sense that it's a good movie and not a so-bad-it's-good movie. It just means it might have the psychology usage and terminology so-bad-it's-good.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Tavern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: