Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

Arrow/Flash
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Arrow/Flash Reply with quote

Has anyone else been watching these shows? I'm sure it's a silly question and you all are. I have been loving them. I had not watching any of them when they aired, and ended up catching the first three seasons of arrow on Netflix, and loved them. Then watching Flash after it hit Netflix to catch up, and have been watching them on TV regularly. They are a great show, and well acted. And I love how they interact with each other, and will with the new mini show coming out next month.

I watched Supergirl, and just could not get into it. I'm not that big of a superman fan... He's too powerful and makes the character un-real in my opinion.
Aja
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting timing! I've heard a lot of good things about Arrow, and the first season DVD set just came in at my library. Now you've got me looking forward to it even more.

I can't seem to find any results for Flash, though. Is that out on DVD yet?
XiaoCaity
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to get into them and just couldn't. Admittedly neither of them are on my list of top superheroes, which might have something to do with it.
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aja wrote:
Interesting timing! I've heard a lot of good things about Arrow, and the first season DVD set just came in at my library. Now you've got me looking forward to it even more.

I can't seem to find any results for Flash, though. Is that out on DVD yet?

Yes, Flash is on DVD. Series usually come to video right around the time when the next season hits the air...

Video, remember that? Cheese!
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XiaoCaity wrote:
I tried to get into them and just couldn't. Admittedly neither of them are on my list of top superheroes, which might have something to do with it.

They were not on my list of superheroes either.. I'm not really even that familiar with Green Arrow. I just turned it on day, on Netflix, and loved it. They are well written and well acted. Arrow is a lot more dark. He's pretty much Batman with a Bow.
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how to talk about these shows without being a buzzkill.

I much prefer the traditional version of Green Arrow, who's better described as Jon Stewart (of the daily show) with a Rennaissance goatee, a bow with lots of cartoony trick arrows, and the most interesting vocabulary.

There's a lot about The Flash that I like, but I stopped watching in the first season because every villain was locked away for life sentences in solitary confinement in Wells' personal basement prison with absolutely no trial or anything like a trial. This is true regardless of the crime they committed, and everyone seemed OK with it.
I don't know if The Flash has gotten better since then, but I doubt it.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brady kj wrote:
I don't know how to talk about these shows without being a buzzkill.

I much prefer the traditional version of Green Arrow, who's better described as Jon Stewart (of the daily show) with a Rennaissance goatee, a bow with lots of cartoony trick arrows, and the most interesting vocabulary.

There's a lot about The Flash that I like, but I stopped watching in the first season because every villain was locked away for life sentences in solitary confinement in Wells' personal basement prison with absolutely no trial or anything like a trial. This is true regardless of the crime they committed, and everyone seemed OK with it.
I don't know if The Flash has gotten better since then, but I doubt it.

Jon Stewart is the Green Lantern, silly. Rolling Eyes That does explain your love for the Brave and the Bold version of Batman.

Well, there has to be some realism to it, and also a limit to what they can do with TV. He doesn't have one of those magical arrows that Hawkeye seemed to have in the first Avengers movie. It was a little far-fetched to believe it.

You have to keep watching Flash. And they were not all just "OK" with it. Watch the rest of the season. But then ask yourself, is that something that is hard to believe to be from happening? Bad guys caught and put in prison without a trial, and all without people knowing about it?
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issue with the imprisonment in The Flash is is not that it's hard to believe. It's that if I'm watching a hero, that hero stand up for ethical treatment of people immediately when something unethical happens. That said, I do intend to get around to watching later episodes. I hope things do turn around.

And regarding Arrow, while I acknowledge that a live action TV series holds a higher bar for realism than a comic book, I think it would have been better to make that (slightly) realistic character have fun and tell funny jokes sometimes.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brady kj wrote:
My issue with the imprisonment in The Flash is is not that it's hard to believe. It's that if I'm watching a hero, that hero stand up for ethical treatment of people immediately when something unethical happens. That said, I do intend to get around to watching later episodes. I hope things do turn around.

And regarding Arrow, while I acknowledge that a live action TV series holds a higher bar for realism than a comic book, I think it would have been better to make that (slightly) realistic character have fun and tell funny jokes sometimes.

Been watching both shows since they started airing, both are a lot of fun to watch. The crossover episodes are good to, so you'll want to be sure you watch them in order.
Also looking forward to Legends of Tomorrow, a spinoff involving a half dozen heroes and villains introduced in Arrow and Flash involving time travel to fight Vandal Savage.

If it makes a difference, Arrow does get a lot less dark as the show goes on. Yeah, he starts out all grimdark and arrowing guys who are mostly just trying to make a living, but as time goes on he gets better.

As for Flash's personal prison, it's kind of a hard choice.
How do you hold a guy for trial when said guy can control the weather? What do you do with a person who can teleport at will? An average prison isn't going to hold either of them for long.
Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see317 wrote:

As for Flash's personal prison, it's kind of a hard choice.
How do you hold a guy for trial when said guy can control the weather? What do you do with a person who can teleport at will? An average prison isn't going to hold either of them for long.

Well, the first step is to plan for there to be a trial. The second step is to avoid solitary confinement unless it's necessary. Few of the prisoners were murderers. I don't think any were rapists. If I recall correctly, the teleporting girl wasn't even all that violent.
I've tried to get passed that aspect of The Flash, because the show does have things I like, but I couldn't.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Tavern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: