Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

Microsoft Office 2010 Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Microsoft Office 2010 Help Reply with quote

Today I downloaded a free trial version of Microsoft Office 2010, and I'm wondering whether I can make it look more like Microsoft Office from the days when Microsoft Office made sense. As everyone knows, while a normal office document has a drop-down menu on the top and under that there's a bunch of little icons I can click whenever I want, this piece of poo has big clunky icons that disappear whenever I click on the words that ought to be drop-down menus. And when I click File, I can't see anything on the document. Is there an option to change to an intuitive control panel? If there isn't, I'll stick with LibreOffice. LibreOffice doesn't let me do a couple things I miss being able to do on XP, but it certainly lets me do what I need to do without making me want to kill somebody. Help?

brady-kj.deviantart.com
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I only have word 2007.

Looking at word 2007 there is no "file" button. So I'm not really sure what you would be clicking on, unless they decided to add it to 2010, which I doubt.
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 2010 at work, unfortunately I don't think there's any way to switch it to the format you're used to.
The only thing I can say is that once you get used to the tab system for 2010, it's a real pain in the ass trying to go back to the drop-down menus in earlier versions.

Generally speaking, all the buttons in the menu bar are the same (or similar in functionality) to what would have been in the drop down menu in earlier versions. IE on the File tab, you've got the save options as well as options to open recent documents or view recent places as well as print commands. Under the Home tab there's basic formatting stuff, the insert tab brings up options for stuff you'd like to insert into your document (pictures, tables, headers etc). I've grown to like the 2010 system, it's nice having the options available rather then hidden in drop down menus. I'm not going to say it's better or worse, just that I prefer it this way.
Mink Sith Lord

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like with others the ribbon confused me at first and eventually I got used to it. Since MS insists on it you might as well get used to it.

I can't say I prefer the ribbon over the old menu interface. I'm not faster with either and have to sometimes look through Help/web search for how to do something.
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see317 wrote:
I've grown to like the 2010 system, it's nice having the options available rather then hidden in drop down menus. I'm not going to say it's better or worse, just that I prefer it this way.

But on normal-people Office there are little buttons under the drop box that are NEVER hidden, so if I want to change the alignment of a document or the colors of text, which I use to color-code my financial records, I only have to click on one button. And they don't take up nearly as much space as freak Office. So, without being able to fix it, I'll just stick to Libre Office.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Tavern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: