Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

Well this is an ...odd situation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
XiaoCaity
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Well this is an ...odd situation Reply with quote

Point 1: I hate Eragon and the 'Inheritance Cycle' that grew out of it. Not so much for being bad fantasy - that is everywhere and I do not have enough Rant Rant Rant to give for all of it - but for the ego of the author and the utter nepotism involved in how it made the transfer from self-published pap to Really Big Thing.

Point 2: Despite my hatred for his work, I've seen a few YouTube clips of Paolini speaking and I actually really admire his enthusiasm and his obvious love for his world, even if said world makes no sense. He seems like the kind of guy who, if I met him hanging out in a library somewhere, I'd love to actually talk to.

Point 3: He's coming to my state on a date at a time and in a location that I, with a little planning, can get to.

I... I kind of really want to go see him, even if his talk is going to be about the books I hate and it's going to cost an arm and a leg to do so (even if I can organise a lift and a couch to crash on). CONFLICTED SO MUCH.

What do you think, guys? Go and admire the enthusiasm despite hating the work or stay home and laugh at the Eragon movie instead?
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any room for a compromise? Go see him, then laugh at him?

Fake Edit: Actually, just saw that it's gonna cost a bundle to get there. Maybe he'll stream his talk online and you can watch it on your computer, and laugh at the movie at the same time?

And really, if you want to spend a day admiring unwarranted enthusiasm for terrible stuff, just spend the day on youtube. There's more then enough people congratulating themselves for being idiots out there and it seems that every one of them has a camera phone.
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point 5: Bonus extra point!

He's... actually seriously seriously seriously geek-cute and I think that should count for something.

Cute enough that I would date him in a second if he gave me half a chance. Yanno. And if I wasn't practically engaged already. (The actual engagement will have to wait until I can find the money to fly to the other side of the planet oh god long distance relationships are so hard you guys I can't even explain.)
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, you should tell your to-be betrothed this in the hopes that they'll fight to the death with Vulcan murder-sticks.
That way, everyone wins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AphxyjrH4SE

*Edit: Yes, I know they're called Lirpa, but damnit, "Vulcan murder-stick" is a lot more fun to say.
Spark

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, i'm quite out of my depth there. ^^;;

What about the compromise the this isn't a work of him you won't give a **** about and still admire that he might come up with something better?

Writing is not that easy, i tried myself and wasn't that successful at all. ^^;;;;;
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Tavern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: