Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

GIMPshop photoshop and markers oh my
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: GIMPshop photoshop and markers oh my Reply with quote

Hey. Does anyone know a good tutorial on using GIMPshop? I have Gimpshop 2.2.4
A friend of mine told me to switch from coloring with markers to coloring with PhotoShop, because the only way to look professional with markers is to be very experienced and have large numbers of expensive markers. However, even with a friend's student discount at a university bookstore, PhotoShop costs $200. So, I'm thinking I'd rather go back to using GIMPshop. The trouble is I haven't figured out all the basics of GIMPshop, such as how to turn white space into clear space (and without that, GIMPshop is EXTREMELY irritating), or how to use a font that I downloaded in GIMPshop. I can use the font easily on Word and Excel, but not GIMPshop, and sometimes the thing stops working entirely.

I'd also appreciate it if any of you knows a more intuitive drawing tool, or one that comes with INSTRUCTIONS, or some kind of affordable markers that can color better than what I have on DeviantArt. Does anyone know how long those alcohol-based markers that are $6 per marker last?

brady-kj.deviantart.com
Aja
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I've never tried Gimpshop. If it works like regular GIMP and/or Photoshop, though, you can probably make white space act like clear space just by setting the layer to Multiply. (Black lines will stay opaque, while layers underneath show through the white areas.)

No ideas about using new fonts. Maybe try Googling for Gimpshop tutorials?
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? That's weird.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
Tulsileaf
Mink Sith Lord

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC GIMPshop is GIMP but with a Photoshop like UI. Now GIMP is a UNIX program and like most UNIX programs it probably requires a sacrifice to get it running. I suggest a hamster or a lemming. You'd probably want a stone alter and a knife made from the tooth of a dragon. If you don't have these, a cheap plastic table from Walmart and any old carving knife will do. There are some good articles on the inter. Try Googling "UNIX Sacrifice".

Now, once you've made an offering, wait until the next morning and launch the GIMPshop program. This time it should load without a hitch and all your fonts should be working. Even the ones you didn't have before, such as Reiko's ALphabet. Now, you'll see a white rectangular window on part of your screen. Take one of the many markers you said you have and draw on the part of the monitor which corresponds to the white area. You'll notice the image appears on the window and not the glass. Mouseless drawing! Much nicer. After a few sessions with this, you'll never go back.

More seriously, have you tried GIMP proper? That has much more support and many tutorials.

(Please note the above sacrifice may or may not bind your soul to Satan in damnation for eternal suffering; by reading this sentence, you hereby absolve the author of any and all liability should you follow the above advice and lose all chances of getting past the pearly gates.)
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I finally downloaded the GIMP regular version. How do I "set layers to multiply"?

brady-kj.deviantart.com
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'm confused by the purpose of the "Path" tool. The tutorial made it sound like a tool for drawing well-curved lines, and it does do that nicely. However, these lines don't change color, and they disappear as soon as you deselect the Path tool. What is the purpose of a tool that makes disappearing purple lines?

brady-kj.deviantart.com
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I just figured out how to "set layers to multiply", after probably more hours than it would take a normal person. It does allow me to color a layer without screwing up the lines above it, but it colors all the colors much lighter than they're supposed to be. It makes forest green into neon green, and it makes red an ugly light orange. What can I do about this?

brady-kj.deviantart.com
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now know that there's a way of DELETING white space in GIMP. A friend of mine did that for me once but didn't tell me how he did it. And now I tried to call him and he's not home. Any of you know how to do it?

brady-kj.deviantart.com
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about GIMP, so I don't know if this will work for you or not.

In Photoshop, you can use the magic wand tool to select large areas.
Once selected, you should be able to delete the contents of the area selected by the wand tool. You can fiddle with the tolerance setting if it selects too much or too little.

Note, the magic wand only works on the currently selected layer, however you can move the selection to different layers (IE if you had a cake on one layer and wanted to cut a cake shaped hole in another layer, you could use the Wand to select the cake, transfer the focus to the covering layer and hit delete).
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIMP doesn't seem to like me, but I think I managed to wrangle a solution out of it. Try this!

In the menu, go to Image > Mode > Grayscale

Click on your Channels tab. Right-click the channel that says "Gray" (should be the only one there), and click "Channel to Selection."

You can now go back to Image > Mode > RGB any time!

Back in your Layers tab, right-click your lineart layer and click Add Layer Mask. In the box that pops up, choose the option that says "Selection," tick "Invert Mask," and confirm with the "Add" button.

Select > None

Right-click your layer again, and choose "Apply Layer Mask."

Now if you put a new layer underneath your lineart and fill it with a solid color, you'll see that it shows through everywhere that used to be white... but your lines now look crummy with gray pixels all around them. Not to worry!

With your lineart layer active, go to Color > Levels

Under "Input Levels," grab the arrow that's on the left and drag it all the way to right. Click "OK" and voilĂ ! Perfect transparency around your nice solid lineart!

Hope that makes things easier. :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Tavern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: