Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

Crass Course
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
XiaoCaity
Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda miss that Kender. I need to go re-download the Kendercyclopedia again.
Amarath
Noble

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um.. what's a kender?
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kender are a species of humanoid in Dungeons and Dragons (I think they're supposed to be limited to the DragonLance setting, but GMs tend to let them out on occasion).

A full grown kender appears about equal in size and rough appearence to a 10-12 year old human, with the exception that Kender have pointed ears, and generally style their hair in a topknot. Kender fashion tends to be eclectic to say the least. They prefer bright colors, but don't particularly care about color coordination. Also, pouches. Lots of pouches. If you ever find a kender with a pouch of holding, chances are it will be filled with other pouches that will be full of stuff. Quite likely, some of it will be your stuff.

The fun part about kender are they are, as mentioned, fearless kleptomaniacs who often times don't realize they are stealing. They'll pick something up because it's shiny, fully intending to put it back on the shelf. Then they get distracted by something else, and wander off not noticing that the original shiny object has somehow, entirely of it's own accord found it's way into one of their pouches. Kender are also masterful lockpicks, meaning if you've got something shiny, a kender can probably get to it regardless of how expensive the lock you put on it is. At a fairly young age, Kender are afflicted with wanderlust. A desire to get out and see the world.

It's been a while, so I don't know if I've got this part correct. Kender get a racial ability to taunt an opponent. Forcing it to do something stupid, or possibly just get confused and lose stats in battle. GMs may require the player to actually insult the enemy ingame before they let it take effect, simply because it's often hilarious. Like I said though, it's been a while since any of my GMs let a kender into the game so I could be wrong about that.

Biggest problem with Kender are players who immediately equate "Fearless and curious" into "Absolute idiot who charges at the nearest deadly thing until the party kills it. Then finds the next nearest deadly thing". If played well, a kender can bring some fun to the party and the kleptomania can lead to plot hooks galore (and save your party if you happen to have picked up an interesting potion or antidote). Played poorly, the character will die quickly or the player will be beaten to death by the other players who are sick of saving said kender's life.

For more information Kencyclopedia has extensive listing of kender related lore, skills and equipment.
Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have almost nothing to add to that explanation.

Except that we are damn cute and we fear nothing! We're not stupid, though. We're not the one who charges the dragon, we're the one who walks up with a great big smile asking the dragon how they keep their scales so shiney.
Nemilay
Spark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And thus we have the kender distraction. Also I noticed you two neglected the legendary Hoopak staff that Kenders like to wield. Those can provide hours of hillarity because they make a strange whinning noise when spun, which when used in the dark, can be very spooky. Cheese!

And you never confront a Kender about their 'stealing.' If you do they will be very hurt and insist they were only borrowing what ever it is they took. Or that they didn't steal it, they 'found' it, regardless of the fact that it was located on your person when they did.
XiaoCaity
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cute little female Kender crying and clinging to the leg of the party Paladin has been known to make even the nastiest of bad guys behave for a few minutes. Which is, incidentally, usually as long as it takes for said Kender to borrow something highly destructive. (yay for Arcane Trickster and the Ranged Legedemain power. :D )
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The paladin will need to check any pouches and/or loose daggers he or she may have been carrying after this distraction.

You know, just in case something was misplaced during the confusion of combat.
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Paladin is a.) a half-orc and b.) the Kender's best friend. He's surprisingly tolerant of her antics. Although he does sit her down at the end of every day to see what she's 'borrowed', so if she does take something of his he always gets it back.
Nemilay
Spark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course. It simply wouldn't do for her to run out of things to 'borrow' from him. After all, there's no fun in robbing someone of everything but their clothes and then having nothing left to take. The Kender's skills would atrophy and become useless (if the world were at all fair anyway, which it's not Wink )
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa... whoa... just whoa.
Robbing someone?

You didn't just suggest a kender would intentionally steal from someone, especially a close friend? Of course not, I must have heard wrong. It happens on occasion.

A kender knows that there will always be something new and exciting to find, just over the next hill, around the next bend, or through the nearest extra-dimensional plane. (Especially through the nearest extra-dimensional plane)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Magic Show All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: