Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

New Dr. Who
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see317 wrote:

Can I ask which two first episodes you saw? Maybe Xiao or I could recommend some better places to start.

But I'll be honest, if you're expecting excellent acting or big budget special effects, this show may not be for you.

I started from the beginning of the show. The first episode was called Rose, I think. Where the doctor meets a girl named rose and they fight some evil plastic goop.

The second one was, the end of the world. Where they travel into the future 5 billion years.
Aja
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, yeah. I almost stopped watching after those first two episodes, too. It definitely gets better after that. I think I really started getting into the show around episodes 6 (Dalek) to 9 (The Empty Child, which is delightfully creepy). Try sticking with it at least until then!

Pretty much everything improves again in Series 2 -- but I think you'll be able to tell by the end of Series 1 whether the show is the right kind of campy fun for you. Grin

:D and I are almost at the end of Series 4 now, and I am feeling conflicted. I want to see what happens next, but I don't want the David Tennant to end.

Someone reassure me that Matt Smith is also cool. Puppy Eyes
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aja wrote:
Ooh, yeah. I almost stopped watching after those first two episodes, too. It definitely gets better after that. I think I really started getting into the show around episodes 6 (Dalek) to 9 (The Empty Child, which is delightfully creepy). Try sticking with it at least until then!

Pretty much everything improves again in Series 2 -- but I think you'll be able to tell by the end of Series 1 whether the show is the right kind of campy fun for you. Grin

:D and I are almost at the end of Series 4 now, and I am feeling conflicted. I want to see what happens next, but I don't want the David Tennant to end.

Someone reassure me that Matt Smith is also cool. Puppy Eyes

Smith wears a bow-tie, and on occasion, a fez. Bow-ties are cool.

Also, these might help reassure you. Minor spoilers though.
Speech from Smith's first episode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arAjbSkKF-Q

Pandorica speech:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjnht1k8M7w

Also this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi_hcwB8i64
Which has nothing to do with Dr.Who in any way shape or form, but is still entertaining and needs to be watched by as many people as possible.
Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young wrote:
see317 wrote:

Can I ask which two first episodes you saw? Maybe Xiao or I could recommend some better places to start.

But I'll be honest, if you're expecting excellent acting or big budget special effects, this show may not be for you.

I started from the beginning of the show. The first episode was called Rose, I think. Where the doctor meets a girl named rose and they fight some evil plastic goop.

The second one was, the end of the world. Where they travel into the future 5 billion years.

I think that Dr. Who vs. plastic is a recurring theme in the show.
I gave the first season a shot, as you know, and recently I checked out the second season, because a friend kept telling me it's better because David Tennant is "dreamy". I watched about four episodes of that and got bored, so I returned it. I can't stand any of the episodes where he fights plastic monsters or monsters with annoying voices, and the other episodes don't have enough to keep me interested. It seems like the whole show is a series of inside jokes for people who were interested in Dr. Who in the past.
I've also tried Torchwood and found Captain Jack to be the most incompetent leader ever. However, I might see a few more episodes of it, because I feel like I can learn something from him in the dating world. When I meet someone attractive, I often ask myself "What would Captain Jack do?", and the answer's pretty obvious. Then I ask myself "Would that be horribly inappropriate?" Occasionally, the answer is no, and I try it out. But I don't have the temperament to sit through an entire series just for that. When I want campy fun, I watch Batman The Brave and the Bold. I just don't get Dr. Who.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
Aja
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's not for everyone, I guess. I can see what you mean about the monster voices; they can be hard to understand, which would annoy me if I didn't always have subtitles on. As it is, I haven't really noticed them.

Actually, I kind of enjoy listening to the Daleks. Then again, I find this sort of thing soothing, so...

If by any chance you keep watching either series, you might be happier if you skip the episodes "Love & Monsters" and "Fear Her" (Doctor Who) and "Countrycide" and "Meat" (Torchwood). Seriously.

see317 wrote:
Speech from Smith's first episode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arAjbSkKF-Q

Okay, I like him already. Grin

And gosh, the Series 4 finale was amazing. Fridge Logic everywhere you look, but so much fun! It was cool to see all of the companions and side characters working together.

see317 wrote:
Also this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi_hcwB8i64

...Dang. Warner Bros. animation has come a long way since I last checked. Shocked
XiaoCaity
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're doing Torchwood? CHILDREN OF EARTH. Cannot recommend it enough. I just can't.

Avoid Miracle Day, though. It suffers the same problem as ANYTHING British getting an American treatment. They completely missed the point for something like 99% of the season. There were three scenes worth saying and the rest was awful.

Was I the only one seriously annoyed by the Doctor's behaviour in the recent Christmas special?
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What in particular about the Doctor's behavior bothered you?

Was it the way he had stomped off to his room like a petulant child who had his favorite toy taken away? Because that bugged me. I mean, it's hardly the first time he's lost a companion, but for all the other's he's just moved on. A little worse for the wear maybe, but I don't think he's ever just said "screw this, I'm out".
Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was about half the epic temper tantrum and half the sudden reversion to form because a halfway pretty woman (I've been told she's gorgeous but I just Do Not See It) said the right word.

Also I have a horrible suspicion that this Oswin situation is going to turn into the Sam situation from the 8Doc novels and if that happens I quite genuinely will stop giving the new stuff chances and go back to the classic series and the Sarah Jane Adventures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Tavern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: