Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

New Dr. Who
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
XiaoCaity
Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to chime in with random opinions now I've seen a couple of episodes of the new season.

* Amy still annoys the hell outta me.
* Rory is still the most adorkable guy ever.
* RORY'S DAD. YES. YES. THIS MAN IS MAGNIFICENT.
* Everyone's going on about the 'Tali' after last week's episode. DID NOBODY ELSE HEAR HIM SAY "The Tally"? Anyone?
* Okay, credit where it's due, the Long Invasion was an absolutely magnificent idea... But why was nobody else concerned that Amy's hand got skewered?

So yeah. New season has my attention. Now if we could just get Amy to talk a little less...
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate the way they keep screwing with the Angels though, it seems every time they show up they just get stupider and less scary because the writers keep changing or ignoring the rules for them.

Well, it seems after that last episode that Amy and Rory are pretty much done as companions. Personally, I'd rather have seen River on the way out. But that may just be me.
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO SPOILERS NO SPOILERS.

It's on in 2 and 1/2 hours NO SPOILERS.
XiaoCaity
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen it now.

Oh.

My.

God.

Head exploded. Heart broken. No words, only tears.
Aja
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun fact: This topic appeared on the same day :D brought the first season home from the library. Just finished season 2, and it seems that we've both become fans.

Now you guys have made me all curious about what's going on in the recent episodes. Shocked
Must... watch series... patiently... in order.

Also, has anyone seen the Torchwood spin-off? How is it?
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aja wrote:
Fun fact: This topic appeared on the same day :D brought the first season home from the library. Just finished season 2, and it seems that we've both become fans.

Now you guys have made me all curious about what's going on in the recent episodes. Shocked
Must... watch series... patiently... in order.

Also, has anyone seen the Torchwood spin-off? How is it?

From what I've seen of it, Torchwood was passable. Like pretty much any series that runs for more than a couple of seasons, it had some great episodes, but it also had a few that were abysmal. I understand that the "Children of Earth" series is excellent though I haven't had a chance to watch it myself. The most recent series of Torchwood was "Miracle Day" which started with an excellent premise (what if everybody stopped dying, but not aging) and then just went stupid with it. I don't know a better way to describe it then that... They just went stupid with it.

Sorry if I spoiled anything for you Xiao. I'll try to keep my comments vague in the future. I thought it was a pretty happy ending, or at least as happy as a companion of the Doctor could hope for. I did get a bit of dust in my eye at the end there. That's all it was, just a bit of dust. Sad
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dun worry see, you did not spoil. I just have a serious hair trigger over potential spoilers because I went to school with a boy who took great delight in ruining EVERYTHING for me.

Torchwood... varies. The first season was mostly just okay (although the 'Countrycide' episode still gives me the jeebies.) The second season I think was far better, it was dark and twisted in places and quite sweet in others and dang it Rhys is just awesome in 'Meat'.

'Children of Earth' was the crowning gem in the entire series and even if you watch no other Torchwood I would suggest you watch this anyway. The final episode just completely destroyed me and I have SO MANY feels about Frobisher I can't even

'Miracle Day' has a good premise but really? IT SUCKED. Really, really badly. Don't. Watch. It.
MrPasserby
Courtier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should probably stop reading this thread because I won't be able to catch up until the new season hits Netflix, but I'm kind of foolish that way.

I only watched a few episodes of Torchwood before giving up. I never understood the whole "we're trying to prepare humanity for the future by covering things up and lying and making people forget aliens even exist" approach. Please tell me they at least tried to make this make sense at some point?

And I agree about the Angels--they were INCREDIBLE in Blink... and got worse and worse in every following appearance. The only baddie I liked less than the new Angels was the Absorbatrix (who was just embarassing). Is it just me, or do the writers do that a lot? Introduce (or bring back) an AWESOME adversary and then proceed to systematically destroy the whole premise said adversary is built upon?

Still love the show though. Grin
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrPasserby wrote:
I should probably stop reading this thread because I won't be able to catch up until the new season hits Netflix, but I'm kind of foolish that way.

I only watched a few episodes of Torchwood before giving up. I never understood the whole "we're trying to prepare humanity for the future by covering things up and lying and making people forget aliens even exist" approach. Please tell me they at least tried to make this make sense at some point?

And I agree about the Angels--they were INCREDIBLE in Blink... and got worse and worse in every following appearance. The only baddie I liked less than the new Angels was the Absorbatrix (who was just embarassing). Is it just me, or do the writers do that a lot? Introduce (or bring back) an AWESOME adversary and then proceed to systematically destroy the whole premise said adversary is built upon?

Still love the show though. Grin

I don't know for certain, but I think the general plan of Torchwood was to prepare technologically by taking and developing alien tech while waiting for humanity in general to manage a mindset more open to accepting the existence of aliens.
If I can borrow a line from MIB: "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet."

So, Torchwood was there to keep people from panicking and doing stupid stuff like rioting and looting while also protecting humanity from extra terrestrial threats. I don't know if they ever actually covered any of that in the series though, just a theory.
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now I get to show off my frankly disgusting levels of trivia geekiness.

The Torchwood Institute was created by Queen Victoria after a little incident involving the Doctor, Rose, and alien werewolves. The original plan was for them to research and deal with aggressive alien incursions and technology.

By the time of the series and the Torchwood appearance at the end of same season, it had gone from 'research em and kill the bad ones' to 'if it's alien, it's ours'. And it backfired SO badly. Said backfire is a signicant part of Ianto's backstory.

This concludes your daily dose of 'Caity watches way too much sci fi'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Tavern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: