Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

Legend of Korra SPOILERS THREAD
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amarath
Noble

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Legend of Korra SPOILERS THREAD Reply with quote

Here those of us that have watched all of the recent Korra episodes can talk about it without the fear of spoiling it for everyone else. And we can also fangirl/fanboy about it. And eat cookies.
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

COOKIES!!! nom nom nom.

I certainly have been loving the show. Of course the original is one of my favorite cartoons of all time.

I would like to see more of what happened to the rest of the cast from the original. They have not really mentioned Zuko or Sokka, or even the rest of Aang and Katara's family.
Amarath
Noble

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that Zuko is now an ambassador, and his daughter is the fire lord.

Also, is it just me, or is Korra inhumanly strong? She can swing a man taller than her and twice her width through the air using a scarf. Also she can pick up Tenzin and all of his kids at once.
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amarath wrote:
I heard that Zuko is now an ambassador, and his daughter is the fire lord.

Also, is it just me, or is Korra inhumanly strong? She can swing a man taller than her and twice her width through the air using a scarf. Also she can pick up Tenzin and all of his kids at once.

That would be interesting as the succession is normally to the male. Azula was going to be fire lord because Ozai disowned Zuko so Azula was the only "child" of the fire lord.

Is Korra inhumanly strong? She is the Avatar. So she is probably using her abilities with her strength. Kind of like Toph. Aang never showed himself to be strong because he was not fully trained. Korra has been training her whole life. While Aang had been an Airbender for his life he only trained the other three elements in the span of 9 months. The whole Airbender series was under a year.

Korra also trained at a more advanced age the prior avatars. The avatar was never revealed to the individual until they were 16 years old. Aang was the first exception and he was told when he was 11 or 12 because of a war brewing.

Korra knew she was the avatar since childhood and had mastered all three of the elements by the time she was 17. Plus they probably want you to get the feeling of how physically strong she was as an avatar but not spiritually advanced. Which is true as she has not even had any spirit contact.
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/legend-of-korra-103-the-revelation-full-episode.html

On the subject of demonstrations of sheer strength, you need to keep in mind that Aang was raised as an Air Bender, trained in a style that's all about avoiding direct confrontation, dodging around attacks and the like.
Raised by the Water Tribe, it seems likely that Korra would be more skilled in their specific style which involved redirecting attacks and using an enemies strength against them. (There's a clip from the original series where Iroh is explaining to Zuko about the different bending styles when he's trying to train Zuko how to redirect lightning that would fit really well here, but I can't find it)

Watch the clip of Korra against the big guy again (19:30 or so), she doesn't lift and throw him, she swings him around using the scarf as leverage, adding her own momentum to his to pull him off balance and once he's moving fast enough she let's him go, using his momentum against him to launch him into the pipes. The move is less about brute strength then it is balance.
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is also true. You will notice that in all of Aang's battles where he was in control. He dodged, ducked, dipped, dived, and dodged! It was the reason Toph said it was hard for him to air bend. Plus he preferred to only fight when he needed to.

The last episode was certainly a great one with showing Amon's power that he has and how he is able to wield a power that only a fully realized Avatar is supposed to have.

My guess is that some how Koh the face stealer is behind Amon's new power as a way of retribution for almost being killed by Avatar Kuruk. Koh also said to Aang you will see him again, but they never showed him in the series after that. Perhaps just a broken plot hole, but it may return in this series.

Or the more wild answer of Fire Lord Oazi inadvertently got a longer life because of losing his bending and now has plotted revenge against all benders because of what he lost. The episode Revelation does have a slight possibility of that holding truth.

The one thing I do like about the The Last Airbender series is its use of Eastern beliefs especially with chakras, and you will notice that in the Revelation episode.
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of time between the series for Aang to meet Koh again. Not so much a plot hole, just a plot thread that may have been resolved off screen.

Personally, I'm hoping that Amon doesn't have any ties to characters from the previous series, just a completely new villain. If there are too many ties to what's already happened, it makes the world feel smaller and a lot less epic.
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young wrote:
Or the more wild answer of Fire Lord Oazi inadvertently got a longer life because of losing his bending and now has plotted revenge against all benders because of what he lost. The episode Revelation does have a slight possibility of that holding truth.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with that crazy theory. Cheese! It kind of makes sense, right? Ozai could have felt how the technique worked when it was used on him, and then gradually figured out how to duplicate it.

It's been a few months since I last saw TLA, but I thought Amon's voice might even sound similar to Ozai's.

Also, I love that fire ferret. Red panda (firefox) + ferret = brilliant cuteness combo.
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aja wrote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one with that crazy theory. Cheese! It kind of makes sense, right? Ozai could have felt how the technique worked when it was used on him, and then gradually figured out how to duplicate it.

It's been a few months since I last saw TLA, but I thought Amon's voice might even sound similar to Ozai's.

Also, I love that fire ferret. Red panda (firefox) + ferret = brilliant cuteness combo.

True Fact: Fire Lord Ozai was voiced by Mark Hamill. I wouldn't think they would have Mark voice Amon if it was him as that would make it too obvious and not a surprise if you could easily put two and two together.

It could be possible that Ozai did learn it after it was used on him. However, The Lion Turtle also said that to bend another's energy your spirit needs to be uncorrectable or you will be corrupted and destroyed. I can't imagine Ozai being that type of being. Unless they throw in a loop hole that his faith in what he is doing as right makes him incorruptible.

Amon's spoke back story puts him as being an non bender at all times, but it could be a cover to throw people off.

Like, See, I would also like for it to be someone new to expand the series some so it is not a small world.

And yes, in the 70 years since the original show Koh could of been resolved, or may still play a part in it. Just like Aang found a herd of flying bison still alive.

It also seems a lot has changed. As in the original only three fire benders were able to summon lightning, now it seems like a normal thing for a fire bender.
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where they creating lightning, or doing Iroh's redirecting lightning thing? Seems like it would be cheaper to install a few wires then to hire a dozen fire benders for the job, but who knows?

Triple Triad guy was named "Lightning Bolt" Zolt or something. If lightning is an everyday thing for a firebender, that seems like an odd name. If lightning is still a rare talent of a few exceptionally gifted fire benders it makes a lot more sense.

As for Amon's story, I'm sure there's elements of truth to it, but since it matches so closely Mako and Bolin's story, I'm betting it's just fiction to get more people to sympathize with him. I'm sure lots of poor farmers got picked on by firebenders after the war.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Tavern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: