Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

Alien Ninja Turtles - wha?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Alien Ninja Turtles - wha? Reply with quote

Seems Bay is at it again mucking up another franchise.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/26/michael-bay-ninja-turtles-movie-teenagers_n_1380548.html
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this alien thing is just a big joke or misunderstanding. I don't see the purpose of changing the Turtles at all, because the series was recently rebooted in a pretty darn good comic book, and I wonder if there isn't a TV series to go with that comic book.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
Aja
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it could be worse. They could be humans who were bitten by radioactive snapping turtles. Shocked

...Actually, I'm kind of intrigued by the alien idea; it seems like that could open up some interesting possibilities. And I'm definitely excited about the prospect of a live-action Shredder (which I've wanted to see ever since I saw the original cartoon). Putting the potential plot aside, it would be pretty hard to not make the villains awesome.
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aja wrote:
Well, it could be worse. They could be humans who were bitten by radioactive snapping turtles. Shocked

...Actually, I'm kind of intrigued by the alien idea; it seems like that could open up some interesting possibilities. And I'm definitely excited about the prospect of a live-action Shredder (which I've wanted to see ever since I saw the original cartoon). Putting the potential plot aside, it would be pretty hard to not make the villains awesome.

Wanted to see a live action Shredder? I'm assuming you have either never seen the second Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, or are striking that movie from your memory.

I'm sure there are many things that could be done by making them Aliens and not Mutants, such as a more rich back story. But in doing so one would be completely changing the core mechanics to the TMNT franchise.
Aja
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young wrote:
Wanted to see a live action Shredder? I'm assuming you have either never seen the second Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, or are striking that movie from your memory.

Ooh, there's already a live-action TMNT? I've never seen it. ...Should I?

young wrote:
I'm sure there are many things that could be done by making them Aliens and not Mutants, such as a more rich back story. But in doing so one would be completely changing the core mechanics to the TMNT franchise.

Hmm... you're right. Even if it's done well, I can see how some TMNT fans would feel the same way that Final Fantasy fans did about Spirits Within: It might be cool, but it's just not the same thing.
(WHY ARE ALL THE CHOCOBOS GONE?)

As someone who enjoyed FF:SW for what it was, though, I'm still cautiously optimistic about this version of TMNT. Maybe people would find it less aggravating if they thought of it as a very high-budget AU fanfic?
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aja wrote:
young wrote:

Ooh, there's already a live-action TMNT? I've never seen it. ...Should I?

There are actually 3 live action Ninja Turtle movies.
Yes, you should see the first one. Maybe even the second (It's got Vanilla Ice rapping about ninjas, I'm not sure if this is a check in the pro or con column for you, but it's a fact).
I'd suggest you stop there, the third one wasn't as good. Skip over it altogether and watch the CGI TMNT, it was surprisingly entertaining.
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course there were three live action Ninja Turtles movies. Where were you in the 90s? And I happened to like the third one. The Turtles went to ancient Japan, which was really cool. I admit, though, that it did lose the charm of having the Turtles live in hiding in modern New York, but it was fun. I also admit that my opinions are based on the impressions of a much younger Brady, and if the modern Brady was exposed to them, he may have a different opinion.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much like Brady, I prefer to keep my current mind safely insulated behind 20+ years of nostalgia when reminiscing about the treasured intellectual properties of my youth.
Unfortunately, that's not always possible and I was exposed to the third live action Turtles movie fairly recently, which may have sullied my recommendation.
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see317 wrote:
Much like Brady, I prefer to keep my current mind safely insulated behind 20+ years of nostalgia when reminiscing about the treasured intellectual properties of my youth.
Unfortunately, that's not always possible and I was exposed to the third live action Turtles movie fairly recently, which may have sullied my recommendation.

Yea, it's hard to watch an old movie for the first time today when we have such high standards then were back then. Like trying to watch Howard the Duck in 2012 for the first time. Mind you Howard the Duck wasn't the best movie in the world, but it had a certain charm to it.

The third TMNT was not all that good compared to the first one, but it was not completely bad. The second one was starting to get more cheesy with it and did not have the complete charm as the first one.

The first one was a great movie in its time. I have not seen it in a long time to know how it stood against the test of time.

I was not really a fan of the animated TMNT movie that came out like four years ago.
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard the Duck was an old movie when I discovered it on TV, and I kind of liked it. I liked it enough that I was upset about not having the chance to see the whole thing.
As for the animated TMNT film, I never got to see it. I specifically bought it for my sister-in-law for Christmas in hopes that we'd get to see it before she goes home, but my family voted in favor of watching other movies, and some crappy reality shows.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Tavern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: