Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

14 years as a fangirl... (Big fat FFXIII-2 spoiler)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
XiaoCaity
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: 14 years as a fangirl... (Big fat FFXIII-2 spoiler) Reply with quote

And Final Fantasy XIII-2 has completely destroyed my fan will. Ruined it.

This game was so bad my father knew it was schiesse before I did because the Financial Times did an article on how bad it was! I mean, cripes, the Financial Times! I didn't even know they did gaming articles!

But the biggest betrayal of all, after slogging through a good fourty hours of WTF, poorly written dialogue and unending whining (with only appearances from a grown-up Hope as the only sane, sensible character of the entire bloody lot to lighten my day), was the ending.

Or should I say the 'To Be Continued'?

That's right. S-E, in their infinite stupidity, has decided to give us a non-ending and the promise of a resolution in DLC!

I just... there are no words for how pissed I am. That's the lowest of low blows.

So, in my disgust, I am handing in my Final Fantasy Fandom card. Screw it. I'm not dealing with this bollocks any more. So long, farewell, auf wiederzehn and goodbye, fandom.

(And if people want spoilers, feel free to ask. I'm gonna give 'em away like candy to protect people from actually buying this crap.)

*ahem*

Rant done now. Sorry for the tl;dr but I needed to veeeeeeeeeeeent.
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's okay Xiao.
Just add your card to the stack. Mine's in there too somewhere.
Got tossed in after the strat guide that required me to go online to actually get any useful hints or strategies.
Or maybe it was in FF12 where opening a specific chest in the beginning section of the game removed any chance of getting the most powerful weapon in the game later, with no warning or way to know outside of purchasing a strategy guide. A weapon you would not even knew existed until 30-40 hours later
Or maybe it was the MMO they put out that did everything except come to my house and beat me in order to punish me for wanting to play it.
Possibly it was the lackluster CGI movie they put out, that I still went to see on opening day because it was Final Fantasy, even though it completely lacked dragons or moogles and had only a passing reference to chocobos.

Not really sure when I gave it up, but I can walk by the displays for the latest final fantasy game with barely a twitch anymore. Course, I still mainline Chrono Trigger on my DS every now and then, when I need a hit.
Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zodiac Spear shenanigans aside, I actually really, really like Final Fantasy XII. It's the last FF I enjoyed. XI sucked. Didn't even try XIV, but considering they had to publicly apologise for it less than a month after starting...

Spirits Within was NOT FF. Ick. I think I purged most of it from my brain.

Yeah, my card's on the pile now. I replaced it with a Persona fan card. Wow. I do declare I am in love. <3
Shadowstorm
Noble

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, hey, hey...

**Picks up the discarded Final Fantasy Fandom card and hands it to XiaoCaity**

Just because you don't like the new FF doesn't mean you have to give up being a fan of Final Fantasy altogether. You can...fangirl about the games of the previous 14 years.

Wait a sec....14 years? That only brings us back to FFVII! Which was good, to be sure, but you have played some of the games before that, right?

Anyways, even ignoring the past, you can always hope for the future, that SE will release a game that will hold your interests...

Oh, and, see? Which MMO? XI or XIV? Cause they seem to be running both into the ground at this point. Now, this is just a hypothesis, mind you, but I think they want to kill both of them off for the insurance money...I heard about it in a movie once.
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadowstorm wrote:
Hey, hey, hey...

**Picks up the discarded Final Fantasy Fandom card and hands it to XiaoCaity**

Just because you don't like the new FF doesn't mean you have to give up being a fan of Final Fantasy altogether. You can...fangirl about the games of the previous 14 years.

Wait a sec....14 years? That only brings us back to FFVII! Which was good, to be sure, but you have played some of the games before that, right?

Anyways, even ignoring the past, you can always hope for the future, that SE will release a game that will hold your interests...

Oh, and, see? Which MMO? XI or XIV? Cause they seem to be running both into the ground at this point. Now, this is just a hypothesis, mind you, but I think they want to kill both of them off for the insurance money...I heard about it in a movie once.

To the first bolded statement, damn you for making me feel old. I remember seeing a big two page ad for VII where it was just a picture of the huge cannon in a magazine at the store (yeah, that's right, a magazine, at the store), then riding my bike home after reading the articles (see, cause I couldn't drive).
You durned whipper snappers, get off my grass!

As to the second, pretty sure it was the first MMO. I've been a fan of Final Fantasy a long time. I mean, I played Final Fantasy on the NES. Back when the game was new and they thought it was actually going to be the last game Hironobu put together. I loved Final Fantasy II (even after I learned that it was actually IV) the redemption of Cecil, the betrayals of Cain, saving Rydia... these where like Shakespeare to me at the time. Final Fantasy III (actually VI) was a favorite game among me and my friends. Spiral notebooks dedicated to notes on that game where filled and passed hand to hand. Lists of Gau's rages, Sabin's blitz's, the current time in Zozo, maps through dungeons, boss weaknesses, even the text to the Opera scene. And damn, that Opera scene... still in my top ten video game scenes ever list and it was little more then a short term memory test.

The games have given me a lot of hours of entertainment, it just that anymore they feel more like chores. Maybe I'm just looking back through a haze of nostalgia, but the newer Final Fantasy games just lack the magic.
Noble

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFXI has its hate. admittedly, some of it is deserved, namely, the level grind and the difficulty, and a steep learning curve for new players. But they went a long way in trying to make it easier for people to get into. Granted, they were only about 6 years late in doing so...that being said, there were parts I liked to it. It had surprisingly good storylines, or at least, I thought so. And some pretty good songs came out of it, too. And considering one of my favorite parts to FF is the music, that's saying something.

XIV's just all kinds of wrong, though. And they're trying to "improve" XI to reach that level of quality, apparently. Though I hear XIV's soundtrack is pretty good. Good to hear Uematsu's still doing nice work. Reviewers said it, along with the graphics, were the ONLY good things about the game.

And hey, a FFVI fan! Awesome! I think it's pretty obvious with my avatar and sig, but VI is my favorite of the lot. Glitchy game, but I stand by it nontheless.
XiaoCaity
Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VII was my first FF. I'd never even owned a computer before, and my best friend gave me a copy. I played it, loved it, and promptly went "MORE PLOT NOW." Hence my ongoing adoration of Phantasy Star and Star Ocean.

I have played all the original FF games, though. 1-3 were kinda meh (although I did enjoy the remake of 3), 4 broke my heart and is the only one I've never managed to quite beat, 5 was fluffy and fun.

Final Fantasy VI stands equal with XII as my favourite FF. Characters. Plot. Silliness. KEFKA. Kefka is, IMHO, a far more interesting and intimidating villain than Sephiroth ever was.

Don't start me on VIII. I enjoyed IX for it's cheerful flashiness and return to some of the older themes of the series. I have exceedingly mixed feelings about X.

XIII and XIII-2 along with Dirge, XI and XIV have severely damaged my faith in S-E and the damn non-ending was just the final straw. For the first time in 14 years, I'm not going anywhere near a new Final Fantasy until I have proof that it's worth the effort.

If S-E didn't happen to be the guys who keep putting out Atlus games (PERSONAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA) I would never give them another cent for the rest of my days.

I should find my old Setzer avvy...
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not really played much Final Fantasy in the later iterations of the game. My favorites will always be 3(6) and 7. I played a couple of the ports on the DS like 4 and 2.

I bought Final Fantasy XIII... But it was too much talk talk talk that I stopped playing it and traded it in. I was tired that every thing I did caused a five minute or so cut screen..

Not to mention just bashing the a button to do everything.

XIII was the first console final fantasy that I had played in awhile. I think X was the last one I tried, but couldn't get into that one either.

While I do love the RPG genre the constant grinding that is involved in these JRPG can be very tedious and off putting.
Shadowstorm
Noble

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so Square Enix's games as of late have been...um...not up to par. But how would all of you feel about some RPGs made by people formerly employed by SE?

The RPGs are Xenoblade Chronicles, directed by the same person who directed Xenogears, and The Last Story, brought to us by the creator of the Final Fantasy series. (Incidentally, the last FF game he produced at Square was IX). I've heard nothing but good things about these two games. Also, the soundtracks for both of these games are bound to be top notch - the composers for Xenoblade include Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono Trigger/Cross, Xenogears) and Yoko Shimomura (Legend of Mana, Kingdom Hearts, Street Fighter II), while The Last Story is being composed entirely by Nobuo Uematsu (I think you know what he's composed).

I really hope both of these games live up to the publicity they've been getting - they sound promising, at least.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Tavern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: