Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

General Gaming Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: General Gaming Thread Reply with quote

What would a forum be without a gaming thread to go along with the movies and books?

I picked up a Nintendo 3DS the other day after trading in a bunch of DS games and psp games that were just sitting there, and one of my DS systems. Allowing me to snag a 3DS for only 18 bucks. I must say I didn't think it would be much of a difference in the game, but it really does. It is a very nice touch, and done well. The only con is that you have to view it a certain way or you lose the 3d effect and it becomes blurry. I also haven't played it longer than 30 minutes or so at a time.

I was hesitant to pick it up as there was no reason to. The only game that was taunting me was Ocarina of Time. That is one of my favorite Zelda games. Right behind a Link to the Past. I have bought Ocarina of Time on all platforms it's been on. Which meant I may of had to buy a 3DS. Ocarina is lovely in 3D.

They also are releasing Luigi Mansion 2 strictly for the 3DS which was a great underrated game. They also have an Animal Crossing exclusively for it as well.
XiaoCaity
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, gaming thread!

I'm very much an old-school gamer, I love RPGs from the 80s and 90s and newer games in the same style. Atelier Iris, Mana Khemia, the original Phantasy Star quartet, Golden Sun... Although I must admit Assassin's Creed has been making me look at parkour games with a certain appreciation, and I'm damn hooked on the last few Pokemon games. Stupid gotta catch em all mentality...

I'm not going to be getting a 3DS, 3D in almost all forms makes me woozy. I can just, JUST sit through a movie in the glasses and be okay, but everything else... *shudder* Plus, I'm really long-sighted and don't have glasses yet (YET), so it'd be really, really uncomfortable for me trying to find a good spot for it.

Plus, blasphemy of blasphemies, I don't like Zelda.
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I know what you mean about games can make you woozy. I haven't had that problem, yet, with the 3DS. I get motion sickness easily so that was a concern as well. FPS shooters used to make me really sick. Growing up Duke Nukem, Quake, Wolfenstein, were the popular franchises. Those games would make me sick the way the character would be moving so fast and seeing the walls just moving by the character would be unbearable to see at times. So I avoided that genre for the longest time. It's only now that I am slowly diving into it.

I also loved old RPG's. That genre has always been my favorite. Chrono Trigger is my all time favorite game. I also have that game across all platforms as well. It's a good game because of its re-playability. While I do love a good RPG the traditional JPRG's can be tiresome. Like the original Final Fantasies and you take a step and you are in a battle. They become to fixated on grinding that they start to lose appeal. Lufia is also one of my favorite franchises as well. I was not really fond of the remake of the second one on the DS. As it deviated from the original to much.

Assassin's Creed is a good game as well. I have the latest one, but have not really gotten into it, yet.

The Pokemon games actually are fun little RPG's. Even though they have a lot of grinding. I end up usually just keeping the same team throughout much of the game. I do like my Gengar, and Alakazam. Even though you have to trade him to evolve to him.

Currently on my waiting list that I am waiting for is Skyrim. Oblivion was a great game that improved on a little of the annoyances, IMO, of Morrowind. As well as Uncharted 3 another good franchise if you have a PS3.
XiaoCaity
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, FPS games. I can't sit through a full run of either Portal game without going outside for fresh air quite frequently. Which is a pity, because Portal rocks. Bioshock is even worse.

The first couple of FF games I could take or leave, but I think VI ties with XII for my personal favourite. I like the different direction XII took for most of the game, what with the politics and moral ambiguity.

I'm looking forward to Revelations coming out here, the ending to Brotherhood made me stare at the screen in wide-eyed shock. Just... dude. What. (please don't be hurt Shaun please please please) (yes I'm a fangirl)

I like to change it up a lot, although my Cinccino in the new games is never, ever leaving my party. Ditto my Torterra in Platinum. And my Vulpix in SoulSilver, sooooooo cute~

I don't own a PS3, I mostly play handheld games these days. I have 2 DSes (one of the really old ones so I can import certain games from the US and a DSi for Aussie games), a PSP, a PS2, my old Gamecube for PSO, and an XBox 360. Considering the price difference between a 60gb XBox and the smallest memory PS3 I could find, I think I did pretty well.
Tulsileaf
Mink Sith Lord

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XiaoCaity wrote:
Plus, blasphemy of blasphemies, I don't like Zelda.

I don't think we can be friends anymore.
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up Fear 3 over the weekend, and am loving it so far. I loved the second one, but never really got into the first. I just may have to so I can fully know the story since this one relies on the first one and two.

I was thinking of getting Shadows of the Damned, since I like those type of games, but it didn't get really good reviews. The combat, and movement is really clunky and that would probably turn me off from the game.
Saint Cy
Spark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just borrowed Fallout: New Vegas from my friend. I really like the Fallout series, but since I live in the desert, it's like...I know it must be exotic to lots of people but I hate the desert...feels like I live in a nuclear wasteland already. Looking forward to Skyrim!

I'm glad they have Beyond Good & Evil on Xbox Live Arcade! That game needed more love.
XiaoCaity
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm replying Golden Sun: Dark Dawn at the moment. It's just so much fun. Camelot better not drag their feet for another six years over the sequel, mama needs her plot. (Also more Rief, but that's the inner squeeing fangirl speaking there.)

I've always loved the Golden Sun games, I owe my friend so many squees and thank yous for getting me interested. <3 Although the plot is kinda spotty, the gameplay is smooth and the puzzles can be devilishly difficult. I love me some good puzzles.
MrPasserby
Courtier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: General Gaming Thread Reply with quote

Goodness, a gaming thread! Whee! I'm playing... huh. Looks like I'm not actually playing much these days. How odd.

I'm actually doing more writing for (and about) games than actual playing these days. Does anyone else find themselves in that situation?

young wrote:
They also are releasing Luigi Mansion 2 strictly for the 3DS which was a great underrated game.

Aw man, I still regret selling that one back to the shop. What was I thinking? ...Not that it actually matters these days, as my Cube is on the fritz. Sad
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: General Gaming Thread Reply with quote

MrPasserby wrote:

Aw man, I still regret selling that one back to the shop. What was I thinking? ...Not that it actually matters these days, as my Cube is on the fritz. Sad

Don't see how that matters. You can literally get a used GC for less then the price of a tank of gas these days. Just looked them up on Amazon, used for under 25 bucks.
Or, for that matter get a Wii for a few bucks more. With the Wii2 (or whatever it's going to be called) announced at E3 this year, you could probably get a Wii for pretty cheap as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Tavern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: