Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

Yay for nostalgia!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
XiaoCaity
Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Yay for nostalgia! Reply with quote

I bought the Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection today. For two reasons: Phantasy Star, which is still my benchmark for all that makes a truly brilliant JRPG, and Shining Force, which are the first strategy games I ever played.

Not only that, but I caught the Masque of Mandragora storyline on Doctor Who as well.

Holy crap, this is turning into a day of pure nostalgic bliss.

So, what games, tv shows and movies bring on that wonderful feeling of old-style joy for you guys?
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everytime I fire up my DS with final fantasy (Any of the first 6), or chrono trigger.
Shining Force is also fun to fire up. But never had a genesis as a kid so it doesn't stoke the ol' nostalgia furnace like the opening crawl of FF6.
Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I need a copy of FFVI. That and FFXII are the only Final Fantasy games that meet my standards.
Aja
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phantasy Star and Shining Force! Less Than Three Right on.

SF was the first game I ever owned, and I played the heck out of it: leveling characters up into the 90s, sneaking out of town early to play as solo Max, turning the entire army into Jogurt clones... so many good times.

Same feeling for Shining Force II and Shining in the Darkness. ♥ I had endless fun trying to "do everything," finding hidden items and digging up weird glitches.

*cuddles cartridges*

XiaoCaity wrote:
Man, I need a copy of FFVI. That and FFXII are the only Final Fantasy games that meet my standards.

How do you feel about Final Fantasy Tactics?
XiaoCaity
Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shining Force 2... Man, poor Oddler. Makes me cry every time. I didn't want to leave him behind the first time, it's just worse now.

I'm not a big fan of Tactics. I gave it a long try, I think I played it for about twenty hours before frustration made me stop.
Mollu
Spark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragon Warrior and Zelda 3 were the first games I beat on my own. But I remember playing Outrun, Safari Hunt, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, Rampage, Street Fighter II, Choplifter, Shinobi, Space Harrier, After Burner, Double Dragon... the list goes on and on and on and on. I love video games. My parents never bought me a single game, but I ended up inheriting all of my brother's.
Saint Cy
Spark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nostalgia is the best feeling! So bittersweet, though.

I got Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection and love it, but like see317 I never had a Genesis, I had NES and SNES.

For NES there was Maniac Mansion, Mario Bros. 1 2 & 3 (2 was always my favorite because you could choose your character and they had different skills), Double Dragon 2, Metroid, Zelda, California Games, Ninja Turtles 2... Not so fondly remembered but still nostalgic are Battletoads and Ninja Turtles 1 (on a side note, ANYTHING Ninja Turtles related brings on nostalgia for me).

For SNES there's Earthbound, Mario World, Mario Kart, Zelda 3, Super Metroid, Secret of Mana, Clue, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Street Fighter II, Flashback...

Super Smash Brothers is one of my favorite game franchises because it's pure nostalgia in the form of a (great) game. It's like a drug. When I unlocked Ness in Smash Bros. for N64...I can't describe how amazing that was. It was so unexpected.

I never got into Final Fantasy until like middle school or high school. Final Fantasy Tactics is my favorite! ONLY the first one, though. I don't like the Advance ones. VI is probably my favorite of the main games, but I find something to like in most of them.
MrPasserby
Courtier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest source of nostalgia is landscapes, actually. I never get homesick for any of the towns I grew up in, but I miss real mountains. Desert too, but I really miss mountains.

I guess I can work up some nostalgia for games too though. Cheese!

Crystal Quest. From back when Macs were black and white and had a screen about the size of a modern cellphone. They don't make games like that any more. Also Dark Castle, The Manhole, Cosmic Osmo. And Starflight. Especially Starflight. Damn that was a good game. I should dig it out again, see if I can get it to work in emulation. And Zork! My introduction to text adventures!

Speaking of which, anyone else get nostalgic about books? I still have my battered copies of the Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander. (People keep telling me that someone made a movie out of the second book, but I don't know what they're talking about.

I used to get all nostalgic about Scooby Doo, but then I saw an episode as an adult. Yikes.

Last edited by MrPasserby on Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tulsileaf
Mink Sith Lord

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, lots of fanstastic stuff listed here. I owned an NES and played with Genesis and SNES at various friends' houses. The music theme for Sonic 2 is burned into my brain, complete with Seeeggaaa. Also, Gameboy. Cheese!

I possess an old Mac which, unlike MrPasserby's, has color. I have/had tons of games and it is simply too long of a list to post or remember*. (The other day I saw comment on Hacker News by someone who worked on Spectre.) Sadly, very few have counterparts on modern systems and the only way to relive the fun is through an emulator or owning an old Mac. Sad

+1 to Prydain Chronicles

*Let me try to list a few, mainly those I played often. Spectre Challenger (demo version of Spectre), Spin Doctor, Moria, Rogue, awesome remakes of Frogger, Space Invaders and Pong, Maelstrom (remake of Asteroids, better on the Mac), Sim City 2000 (also better on the Mac), Midway, Exile series, some Star Wars game, some kind of brain challenge game where you had to match 3D shapes - the music was great, Glypha (sp?)

Should mention Oregon Trail and Wolfenstein (the 3D one) since we played those a lot at school.
XiaoCaity
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I know about the Scooby Doo thing, I had the exact same reaction.

I used to get nostalgic about the early Pern novels, then I went back and re-read them after having done several writing courses in high school and uni. Ooooooof. Now the only ones I can still read are the first two Menolly books, Dragonsinger and Dragonsong.

Truth told my house was a Mac house for many many years.... I still adore Pyramid of Ra and Balderdash... I should so look into emulating them some time.

I discovered a lot of games thanks to Emulation and not being able to buy said games legally for anything approaching an amount fifteen year old me could ever afford. I have a rule now I'm getting paid, though - if I can buy it as part of a collection or order it from the US, I get it legally.

Oddly enough, FFVII is what got me into JRPGs. And not like all the people who went "THIS IS AWESOME MORE OF THIS". I finished the game, stared at the screen for a few minutes, and went "Okay, that was fun, now how about something WITHOUT plot holes the size of Tasman Peninsula?"

Thus was my love of classic Star Ocean and Phantasy Star born. (Do not start me on the Phantasy Star Universe games. Phantasy Star Portable was the only decent one of the lot. I am very fond of Zero, though.)

Edit: While I'm thinking of... You will never convince me that Alys' death in Phantasy Star IV was the most realistic, painful and effective death in video gaming. *sniffle*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Tavern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: