Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cemalidor
Spark

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject: #91 Reply with quote

Well, this was kinda anti-climatic. :XD
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the old lady will offer her a job. In her brothel. Or maybe she's a customer pretending to be a philanthropist.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
KitFang
Spark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many lolz these past couple pages...but I gotta say--BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA! XD Who doesn't love a good game of grab-ass? 8D

In all seriousness though...how were you going to finish that sentence, Henson, m'boy? "some decent fellow who's just..."? Just what? Wanting to see how much you learned in anatomy class? Looking to play with your fluffy pillows? Checking your--okay I'll stop before I get any raunchier *cough*. Really though...what?! My inquiring mind wants to know!

Ahem! Uh...um...oh! Also, on 91 I simply love Jen in panels 3 and 6--the expressions are very telling and lovely to behold.

Now then, for the important bit: omgsqueewhatisthatmoneyshapedlike?! Is it just pentagons? Or, more excitingly, like little stars?! *_* (For whatever reason, I'm rather hoping it's fat little stars...not incredibly unlike those found in the Carebears from my youth...)
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say, that word "scruppence"? Where did you learn it? According to Google, scruppence only exists in four places on the internet. And those four places are on two pairs of identical sites.

Aja must know every word that ever was!

brady-kj.deviantart.com
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brady kj wrote:
Say, that word "scruppence"? Where did you learn it? According to Google, scruppence only exists in four places on the internet. And those four places are on two pairs of identical sites.

Aja must know every word that ever was!

Was one of those sites this one?
In any case, I think scruppence needs to be used more often.
Scruppence.
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KitFang wrote:
In all seriousness though...how were you going to finish that sentence, Henson, m'boy? "some decent fellow who's just..."? Just what?

"...lonely." Puppy Eyes

I would say, "lonely and looking to share some chaste conversation over evening tea," but even Henson isn't that optimistic.

...Scruppence! Co-author :D gets the credit for that word. We were trying to think of something to call the coin that's analogous to a penny, and she said, "How about a 'scruppen'?" And I thought, "Hey, 'scruppence' actually sounds like a word." So now it's the official name for that unit of currency.

It also makes for a classy alternative to saying "diddly." Cheese!

And indeed, they're just little pentagons. But there's nothing to stop a person from carving their scruppence into star-shapes. Low-Tech Eureka!
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why else would these nobles talk to Aja, besides chaste conversation over evening tea? Shocked Oh, I just figured it out. There's also coffee and Italian soda.

And the funny thing is, neither of the sites that Google showed me were this one. It's like Google decided "I found enough sites for this word. Now I'll take a nap."

brady-kj.deviantart.com
Tulsileaf
Mink Sith Lord

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The search site I use gave this very thread as the second result. It's like when you look up a word in a dictionary and the definition references another word you do not know. So you look that one up and its definition refers back to the first. Sort of like that.
KitFang
Spark

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfft..."lonely" indeed.
And I'm glad there are limits to his uh...optimism. >_>

Aw, oh well! Pentagons are still nifty!
You know, I wonder...besides the obvious rigging of money into sharp bits of projectile or melee-smacking goodness... Would cutting bits of the money off result in a lower monetary value? (Like...way back when money was just the precious metal put into a recognizable size and then valued based on weight... So if you needed to pay half for something, you cut the coin in half.) Or would it not affect the value as long as a bank would still accept it? (Because the value was in what it symbolized, not in actual precious metal weight? Like our current money system...)
((If that made no sense, I apologize...I'm a bit off today.))

You know, the first thing I thought of when I saw scruppence was that one Sherlock Holmes-based episode where Captain Picard tells Data that a "tuppence" was a two-pence. So my brain automatically said, "So...what word does 'scru' stand for and what number is it?" XD
I love the way scruppence rolls off the tongue. Kudos to :D for thinking of such a good word!

Brady, maybe nobles that are in-the-know also want to discuss fighting technique with her! :O (Would they be in-the-knowbles?)

Aja, I love every facial expression in page 93. Including Henson's "But I'm not a lady too" face. And I gotta say, I'm really gonna miss that saucy little nobleman in burgundy--he's so cute!
Aja
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KitFang wrote:
Would cutting bits of the money off result in a lower monetary value?

Actually, with TM coins, that might make them completely unspendable (though potentially fashionable!). Can't say much more about it without risking spoilers and/or getting into a boring speech about world-building. XD

Quote:
You know, the first thing I thought of when I saw scruppence was that one Sherlock Holmes-based episode where Captain Picard tells Data that a "tuppence" was a two-pence. So my brain automatically said, "So...what word does 'scru' stand for and what number is it?" XD

I always liked the word "thruppence," and wondered why no one went on to use "fruppence." :D

Hmmm... I was just thinking that the "scru" reminded me of "scrap" or "scrub" or "scruffy." But the most fitting candidate for our fake etymology is probably "scruple" (second entry, meaning a very small amount), since "scruppence" by itself doesn't have a fixed value.

Glad you liked the expressions on the last page! I have to admit, "WTF" faces are the most fun to draw. Nudge Nudge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Magic Show All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: