Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

Took Him Long Enough
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amarath wrote:
see317 wrote:
I always pictured driders as bloated diseased abominations... ...forced to serve the whims of their uncaring masters for eternity in suffering agonized silence.

Yeah... I've never thought of them like that. I mean, isn't Lolth the spider queen? Wouldn't that make them the highest of Lolths clerics, or something? Y'know, like... Because They're Half Spider?

Lolth is evil, she's also a forgotten realms goddess.
Those two things mean she doesn't have to make sense.

Really, it's just based on a scene from a book in the Drizzt series I read years ago. So I don't know how accurate it is. I just remember that being turned into a drider was appearently a punishment akin to being sacrificed, except you didn't get to die at the end. IIRC, the transformation was unpleasent enough that it destroyed the minds of the newly created drider rendering them only slightly more intelligent then your average pack hunting animal.
Noble

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww Poor Dinin...
Actualy, I was reading that very book today. Cool
XiaoCaity
Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Llolth used to be a high-ranked demon, but she tricked the Drow into worshipping her and became a goddess. You do NOT want to visit her level of the Abyss - it's called the Demonweb Pits for a reason. *shudder*

And yeah, being turned into a Drider is a nasty punishment, because it breaks your brain.

Llolth's idea of a reward is commanding the summoning of a demon to sire a child on the favoured drow, so that her child is an abomination of epic proportions. She is NOT a nice goddess.
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet, for all that unpleasentness, and having more "L's" in her name then any being should need, she still has followers.

The Forgotten Realms are kind of a messed up place.
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Forgotten Realms is so a.) messed up, b.) twisted, c.) filled with Mary Sues, Gary Stus and rediculously frequent world-threatening big bads and d.) just plain confusing... that I gave up on it completely. I operate in Ebberon now. Artificers are ever so much fun.
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a charity garage sale a few weeks ago.
I tossed in all my forgotten realms novels and my dragon lance novels.

I think they must have started breeding when I wasn't watching them. I don't believe I had actually bought that many.

Of course, my Discworld books are staying on my bookshelves where they belong. I'll give to charity, but there has to be a line somewhere...
Noble

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see317 wrote:

IIRC, the transformation was unpleasent enough that it destroyed the minds of the newly created drider rendering them only slightly more intelligent then your average pack hunting animal.

But what if the driders had children? The kids wouldn't have their brains messed up.

Also, what's Forgotten Realms?
XiaoCaity
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amarath wrote:
Also, what's Forgotten Realms?

Oooooh, say that again. I got goosebumps...

Forgotten Realms is basically where all the Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights games are set. It's big, it's confusing, the history gets a little more warped every year, and despite the recent purge that brought it up to 4E, it's still populated with so many Mary Sues and Gary Stus per capita that it hurts my poor little brain.

In short: Screw Drizzt, screw Elminster, screw the Seven Sisters and the gorram Chosen of Mystra, give us more coolness like Rasheman's Witches or pike RIGHT off. *ahem*

EDIT: Xiao no can spell...
Amarath
Noble

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XiaoCaity wrote:
In short: Screw Drizzt, screw Elminster, screw the Seven Sisters and the gorram Chosen of Mystra, give us more coolness like Rasheman's Witches or pike RIGHT off. *ahem*

I agree with you that Drizzt is a Gary Stu, but if you haven't read R.A. Salvatore's books, I advise you to. Good writing can sometimes make up for the main characters being Mary Sues and Gary Stus.(In my opinion, at least, but it needs to be really good writing.)

Also, is Forgotten Realms a computer game? I'm still confused.
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amarath wrote:
XiaoCaity wrote:

I agree with you that Drizzt is a Gary Stu, but if you haven't read R.A. Salvatore's books, I advise you to. Good writing can sometimes make up for the main characters being Mary Sues and Gary Stus.(In my opinion, at least, but it needs to be really good writing.)

Also, is Forgotten Realms a computer game? I'm still confused.

Forgotten Realms is a setting using the AD&D rule set. So, it started as a tabletop game.
Later it became a series of shelf-gobbling pulp novels written by a variety of people with a variety of writing skill levels that outlined every second of history for the entire place, though it wasn't afraid to completely contradict itself. After all, they had wizards around to blame plotholes on. (I may have these two steps confused. Kind of a chicken/egg question.)

It was also used as the basis for several video games on PC and consoles, generally set in or around the town of Baldur's Gate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Magic Show All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: