Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

The hoes return...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there some sort of Star Trek museum in San Francisco?
If I had a fancy-pants teleporter, I'd be glad to meet you there. Come to think of it, I once met an attractive young lady who lives somewhere near there. If I had a fancy-pants teleporter, I probably would have clumsily asked her out, gone on a date with her, and then she wouldn't want to talk to me anymore. So, if I had that teleporter, I'd probably want to stay away from Frisco. However, if you can't stay with one of us, that town has lots of hoes of quite diverse genders to choose from.
On an unrelated note, what's this summit? Is that work-related? How did you land this ScummVM job?

brady-kj.deviantart.com
DrMcCoy
Noble

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brady kj wrote:
On an unrelated note, what's this summit? Is that work-related? How did you land this ScummVM job?

ScummVM is a typical open source project. Meaning it's a bunch of people doing the work for fun, to scratch an itch. Smile

I landed the "job" by being bored with my current project (a library to modify Neverwinter Nights modules (the file formats are half-open and (lousily) documented)) a few years back between christmas and new year, so I took a look what needed to be done for one of my favourite projects, ScummVM, doing some simple stuff and then sending in a patch.

And about the summit:
Every year since 2005, Google plans/finances a "Summer of Code", where students can apply to work on open source project and get some money out of it. Each project supplies mentors who supervise the students and evaluate them. For each student that passes the final evaluation, the project gets some money, too.
And at the end of the Summer of Code, 2 mentors of each project can go to the Mentor Summit (the flight and hotel costs are handled by Google), to increase inter-projectoral relations and generally having fun.
This year, I'm going. Smile

Last edited by DrMcCoy on Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Tulsileaf
Mink Sith Lord

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far did you get with opening the format? I think part of your problem might be solved by closing the braces. Here's a patch:
Code:
--- DrMcCoy   2009-10-06 04:31:21.000000000 -0160
+++ NewMcCoy   2009-10-06 21:42:56.000000000 -0273
@@ -1,7 +1,7 @@
 [quote="brady kj"]On an unrelated note, what's this summit? Is that work-related? How did you land this ScummVM job?[/quote]
 ScummVM is a typical open source project. Meaning it's a bunch of people doing the work for fun, to scratch an itch. :)

-I landed the "job" by being bored with my current project (a library to modify Neverwinter Nights modules (the file formats are half-open and (lousily) documented) a few years back between christmas and new year, so I took a look what needed to be done for one of my favourite projects, ScummVM, doing some simple stuff and then sending in a patch.
+I landed the "job" by being bored with my current project (a library to modify Neverwinter Nights modules (the file formats are half-open and (lousily) documented)) a few years back between christmas and new year, so I took a look what needed to be done for one of my favourite projects, ScummVM, doing some simple stuff and then sending in a patch.

And about the summit:
 Every year since 2005, Google plans/finances a "Summer of Code", where students can apply to work on open source project and get some money out of it. Each project supplies mentors who supervise the students and evaluate them. For each student that passes the final evaluation, the project gets some money, too.
 And at the end of the Summer of Code, 2 mentors of each project can go to the Mentor Summit (the flight and hotel costs are handled by Google), to increase inter-projectoral relations and generally having fun.
 This year, I'm going. :)

DrMcCoy
Noble

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closing the braces? I don't know what you're talking about... Wink

Anyway, I didn't really do anything to open the format, just followed the documents, cursing them every time when I saw that stuff didn't fit. My library was able to open all the major file formats and manipulate them (on a very low level, at least). The next step would have been starting a GUI on top, so that I could have a proper module editor, adding higher level manipulation functions to the library on the way.

Though looking back at the code now, some things are actually handled quite awfully, and it would need a major rewrite. That's the reason why I've never released the code into the wild, I'd die of embarrasment. At least with code in ScummVM, I can always say it's like that in the original's disasm. Wink
Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrMcCoy wrote:
Closing the braces? I don't know what you're talking about... Wink

Well, of course not. You're not an orthodontist.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...
It looks like someone's hiatus has come to an end...
You know, just in case you where interested.
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUURRRAAAAYY for someone! And hurray for Bob!

brady-kj.deviantart.com
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see317 wrote:
So...

Shhhh, man... What are you trying to do? You want to scare him off?
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young wrote:
see317 wrote:
So...

Shhhh, man... What are you trying to do? You want to scare him off?

Damn it Young, you see what you did?
Tauhid wrote:

Dindn't Really Think This Through - by Tauhid on - 25 Nov 2009

Yeah so I busted back on the scene with a new site design and the announcement of new comics only to be slapped in the face by the beginning of the Holiday season and everything that means.

AAAAAAGGGHHH!!!
Oh, wait, he continues:
Quote:
No biggie. I'll post a new strip after I eat an entire full-grown orangutan worth of turkey gravy. I'm going eat until I just pass out from exhaustion. I have to make sure my last couple of courses do not include soup so that I don't drown in it. Serously though, I need to start my practice turkey tonight so that I'm in good shape for the main event. You don't what to start Turkey Day without warming up first.

More comics later. Everyone enjoy your holiday!

I'm blaming you anyway Young.

Last edited by see317 on Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that's not my fault.

You can't just run up on a deer in the wild. You have to slowly creep up on them. Or they run of startled.

(I'm not sure this analogy has anything to do with anything)

Coincidentally enough relaunching a webcomic at one of the busiest times of the years probably was not an opportune time to do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Tavern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: