Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

Out of sheer curiousity...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
XiaoCaity
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Out of sheer curiousity... Reply with quote

Anyone else here do the NaNoWriMo? If so, what's your nick, which years did you participate and how did you do?

In my case:
Nick: Tolly
2007 - Dynasty of Demons. Reached 52,000-odd words in 17 days and then lost my hard drive to a massively demoralising crash. The only backup was at about 25,000-odd words, so I gave up and did something else.
2008 - The Fundamentals of Alchemy. A winner was me! Reached the goal in 20 days, got exhausted. I still have backups of it on about six friends computers and my communications teacher nagged a copy off me last week, so if I ever decide to finish it I know there'll be a copy somewhere.
Paul_V
Courtier

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave it a try last year, couldn't even make it to 10K, won't even bother this year. Trading quality for quantity is really NOT my style.
XiaoCaity
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the NaNo to be, if nothing else, a damn fine way of breaking the writer's block. I have no idea if I'm gonna have time this year, though, and that makes me a sad Xiao.
Aja
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true: no writer's block can withstand the barrage of NaNo. Personally, that's made November one of my favorite months of the year.

For me...

Nick: Lady Azurite

2004: Dark Meridian. Reached 55K, and ended up with something only slightly better than the original. XD I threw most of it away, but now have several good scenes and a better grasp of the plot. (Hooray!)

2005: Untitled Fantasy/Horror Story. Loved how it was going, but had barely any time to write for some reason. Gave up on the 26th with less than 15K. (Boo!)

2006: Untitled Zombie Adventure. Reached 52K and a satisfying ending. I'm looking forward to writing a second draft for this one. Also ended up borrowing the protagonist for my 24-Hour Comic. (Whee!)

2007: Shameless Cheating. Reached 50K on the 20th and 103K on the 29th by brainstorming about several stories instead of writing prose for one of them. The guilt is outweighed by the satisfaction of having seven different-but-related plots (finally) well organized.

2008: More Cheating. Another 60K of plotting and brainstorming, this time just for True Magic. I regret nothing!

That's sad to hear that you lost your progress on your first year, but also impressive that you got so far in only 17 days.

I hope you'll have time to participate again this year. :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Tavern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: