Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

Insufferable distant relatives
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Babs
Courtier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit, that even though the first couple of seasons were slow, I've really warmed up to Voyager. I also liked DS9 for the same reason, character development.
SABERinBLUE
Pretty Fly for a Blue Guy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like DS9 for design reasons. Things look real in it as opposed to TNG's windexed clean. Stuff looks lived in on that space station. Oh and the uniforms aren't retarded-looking anymore.
DryIce
Serf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sneaks off quietly while the Trekkies are absorbed in thier discussion*
Naraklak
Courtier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DryIce wrote:
*sneaks off quietly while the Trekkies are absorbed in thier discussion*

*Picks DryIce up by the collar and brings back into the room*

I like all the series (Original, TNG, DS9, VOYAGER) except that lousy excuse for a Star Trek extention series, 'ENTERPRISE'... *Loathes show most viciously* I frankly don't even consider that real Star Trek, because all it does is play off of the other series - the Original, TNG, DS9, and VOYAGER all had original ideas. (And I've noticed the first season of pretty much any of those shows, even the TNG which I adore, are rocky... When the cast understand the character they play and eachother's characters, THEN the show really comes together)

My personal fav is TNG, because it has the only crew that I love every single member of (especially Picard... Picard is the best captain ever!!!); I love the other shows too, but not as much. My mom prefers either the Original or DS9 (I'm not sure because she keeps changing her mind... XD). Not sure about my dad's or my sister's either... =D
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*walks through the front door*

Did I hear something about Star Trek?

*Considers scene in front of her*

On second thoughts I don't want to know... Any food left?
- Abarat
DrMcCoy
Noble

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anara wrote:
Any food left?

Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor and no third-grade cook!
Courtier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the direction Enterprise was going in the first season, but as soon as they started all that time travel stuff, that was the end for me. The 2nd season just got stupid. We didn't watch more than a couple of episodes.

And I hate to tell you, but TNG was not all that original. They recycled a lot of old plots from the original series. And I didn't care for the characters that much, except for Picard and Data. The rest of them mostly annoyed me. I loved Tasha Yar, but they killed her off early.

The main problem I always had with Star Trek is the whole, we're the good guys, eveyrone else is evil thing they had going on. I thought DS9 did a good job of breaking out of that and making things more black and white. Voyager kind of got back on their high horse at the beginning, but sort of eased out of that later in the series.

The only real issue I had with Voyager (other than their total over reliance on technobabble) was how clean and pristine that ship was after 7 years lost in the delta quadrant with not replacement gear and getting by as best they can. It should have looked beat the hell up and hodge podge from odd replacements over time. Yet she looked as good as new right to the end. That and their overreliance on time travel to get them out of bad scrapes.

My favorite space type shows have to be Babylon 5 and the new Battlestar Gallactica. They were more gritty and real. The characters were conflicted and didn't always know the right thing to do. *sighs* I can't wait for the new season of Battlestar to start.
Skittles
Courtier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*twiddles his thumbs*
Naraklak
Courtier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally can't understand why you have a problem with the good versus evil bit in Star Trek... The idea of space travel, at the time, was a new concept that had everyone excited and fantasizing about what might be out there, and because not everyone is a NASA scientist, sometimes the aliens we've come up with are not very realistic. But that's the great thing about Star Trek - it was people, the best examples of our race, who know what is right and that they should do what IS right, that were exploring unknown worlds far into space, and meeting things that couldn't exist on our planet, but that just might exist elsewhere.

And I've never noticed a 'superior' sense with them; pretty much any story will have their good guys and their bad guys, (unless it's controversial in the fact that it doesn't), but Star Trek was fun because it showed people overcoming unusual situations, often having to rely on their own intelligence and understanding rather than their tech, and a lot of the time, when you thought someone was an ally or an enemy, they often ended up being the opposite. And their standing of being the good guys always was a great way of showing how good humans can be, not how necessarily how real. I really don't care about the shows looking realistic, with grime and stuff, (I mean, they have a super high-tech ship... why not a super high-tech cleaning system?) so long as the stories and the characters are good. I love movies like the modern 'Pirates', but I also like old movies like the Errol Flynn 'Adventures of Robin Hood', and that is certainly not a 'realistic' movie...

The reason I like it is because they have a good cast playing good interpretations of good characters with a good plot. That is the only reason to like a show if you ask me... not how 'realistic' the setting should, or rather, might be.
Pretty Fly for a Blue Guy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene Roddenberry took the stance that humans will improve themselves and their society with technology. After the Post-Atomic Horror following WWIII in the star trek timeline, Vulcans found the humans and if memory serves gave them such technology as replicators. The idea that when technology gets advanced enough humans will start to just effing like each other and not have any more wars is retarded to my mind. Especially when you have all these other alien races that are of spacefaring caliber and nonetheless are still warlike and/or have major government problems on their homeworlds. Going by this logic, humans must be some kind of godlike ultimate badasses of doing good things. It's ludicrous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Tavern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 8 of 16

Jump to: