Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

New Year 2017

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: New Year 2017 Reply with quote

Any New Year's Resolutions?
This year I'm resolving to do at least one thing to make my life better every two weeks. I'm expecting a lot of the things I'll do will involve making new friends, getting better at my new job, and learning my way around this new part of the country. Life's hard when you move. I had forgotten that.
I'm planning to get a good start with doing two things in the first week: 1) Inviting people to my birthday party and 2) Taking my work to-do list into a list of things to do every day and a list of everything new that pops up. There is very little in my job that's routine because much of it is oriented around crises that pop up, so in my first few months, a few things have fallen through the cracks, but now that I have four months under my belt, I have figured out how to structure my job day to keep it manageable.

Of course, I'm looking forward more to my birthday than to the work stuff. I'm inviting my D&D group, my old friend who lives in the region and his friend, and some coworkers. We're going to a gaming cafe. I didn't even know such places existed until I moved here.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
Tauhid
Noble

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I resolve not to start smoking again. It's kind of a tradition.
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good resolution to have. How long has it been since you quit?

brady-kj.deviantart.com
Aja
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"One improvement every fortnight" sounds like a pretty smart resolution. Flexible enough that it should be easy to stick with it. Grin

Have you guys heard of The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up? It's a book on decluttering, which sounds boring, but it's got a unique tone and philosophy that actually makes it fascinating and fun to read.

Essentially, instead of trying to figure out what you can get rid of (and inevitably bogging down in frustration and indecision), you focus on what you absolutely want to keep (and let go of everything else).

You can apply the principles to declutter not just your physical space, but also your time and attention. That's my overall goal for the year.

Specific-resolution-wise, I'm taking the first hour of every day to do one important thing that would otherwise get shoved aside by more urgent commitments.

It's been kind of hard to stick with it (given that I could/should/would be working on one of the aforementioned urgent things instead), but worth it. Definitely worth it.

How are you guys doing so far this year?
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My resolution's going well. I'm keeping up with doing one thing to improve my life every two weeks. I did both the things I said I had planned out ahead of time, plus I wrote a letter to some old friends, and at work I started making one phone call every hour so I don't lag behind on the phone part of my job. That last one is a long-term resolution all of its own and a lot of work, so I'll try not to do too many things like that.
I'm generating plenty of ideas for future things to do to continue improving my life: 1. Sign up for a work-related class, 2. Buy a GPS. 3 Join a gym. 4. Visit a ski resort, because if I don't see any snow soon, I'm going to scream.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start of third month into the year, figure I'll post about stuff I've done and resolutions.

Went to PAX South. Had a good time, met some good dudes, played some D&D and threw a dinosaur out a sixth story window. So, doing good on the whole "be more social" thing, kind of.

On the "be more healthy" front, went to see a doctor for a checkup for the first time in [redacted] years last month after PAX. High cholesterol, not a surprise. Really high blood sugar, more of a surprise. But, alterations to diet and cutting out soda as well as some prescription drugs to help with that.

Joined a boxing gym to help with the cholesterol thing, as well. So, got that going for me. I'm wiped out after the first half hour of the session, but trying to stick with it, build the endurance back up. Still more fun then the glorified hamster wheel that is a stair machine.
Serf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: New year 2020 Reply with quote

The end of the Decade is upon us, the thread was strated 2 years go.. seems like just the other day though!! do you ,stay safe.. and have a happy new year 2020!!
Dart
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: New year 2020 Reply with quote

Good thought, sandertristan!

Happy New Year! Wishing everyone a backdrop of peace and safety, against which to create meaning and excitement in whatever you do.
Aja
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New year 2020 Reply with quote

Dart wrote:
Happy New Year! Wishing everyone a backdrop of peace and safety, against which to create meaning and excitement in whatever you do.

Hear, hear!

Happy New Year, guys! Here's wishing you the best year yet in 2020. :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Magic Show All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: