Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

Mr Pratchett, you will be missed.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Mr Pratchett, you will be missed. Reply with quote

http://www.pjsmprints.com/

Quote:
It is with immeasurable sadness that we announce that author Sir Terry Pratchett has died at the age of 66.

Larry Finlay, MD at Transworld Publishers:

"I was deeply saddened to learn that Sir Terry Pratchett has died. The world has lost one of its brightest, sharpest minds.

In over 70 books, Terry enriched the planet like few before him. As all who read him know, Discworld was his vehicle to satirize this world: he did so brilliantly, with great skill, enormous humour and constant invention.

Terry faced his Alzheimer's disease (an 'embuggerance', as he called it) publicly and bravely. Over the last few years, it was his writing that sustained him. His legacy will endure for decades to come.

My sympathies go out to Terry's wife Lyn, their daughter Rhianna, to his close friend Rob Wilkins, and to all closest to him."

Terry passed away in his home, with his cat sleeping on his bed surrounded by his family on 12th March 2015. Diagnosed with PCA1 in 2007, he battled the progressive disease with his trademark determination and creativity, and continued to write. He completed his last book, a new Discworld novel, in the summer of 2014, before succumbing to the final stages of the disease.

We ask that the family are left undisturbed at this distressing time.

All enquiries: Lynsey Dalladay, Publicist ldalladay@penguinrandomhouse.co.uk T: 0208 2316793 M: 07920 712543

A Just Giving page donating to the Research Institute to the Care of Older People (RICE) has been set up in his memory: https://www.justgiving.com/Terry-Pratchett

Just found out from another forum this morning.
Damn, this is not news that I wanted to start the day with. I know others here have read and loved his novels.
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My condolences to all who was impacted by the loss of this individual. I must, confess, I am not familiar with his work, or even his name.

It has been a tough month this year with such things. With losing Galvatron/Sentinel Prime/ Spock, and then Han Solo crashing his own plane into a golf course. Crazy times.
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really recommend you pick up some of his work, Young.
He wrote the Discworld series, and a handful of other books. He had a strange sense of humor that I really feel influenced my own.

If you want a good place to start with DiscWorld, I'd suggest Small Gods, it's largely self contained, with few references or ties to other books in the series.

You might also pick up Good Omens, Pratchett co-wrote it with Neil Gaiman (another author that I'm a big fan of).
Spark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My condolences to you guys as well. I know Aja is a fan. I think this is where I first heard about Terry Pratchett and Discworld.
Aja
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely give Discworld a try, if you haven't yet! Small Gods is a great one for sure. Guards! Guards! is also one of my favorites, and introduces one of the best characters in the series.

Whichever book you try first, if you like it at all, I'd recommend going back to the beginning (The Colour of Magic) to experience everything in chronological order. The stories are fun from the very start, and it's enjoyable to see how the world and characters evolved over the years.

As for the author... yeah, he was pretty much my favorite writer since the '90s. I owe a lot to his influence. I'm very thankful for his work (and I'm SO glad that I made it to a convention and gave him fan art when I had the chance).

He added a lot of delight to the world while he was here, and it'll continue to be a better place thanks to him.

Cheers, Sir Terry. ♥
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Tavern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: