Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

All hail GoG!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: All hail GoG! Reply with quote

I don't know how old the other posters here are, but I'm guessing that some of you were alive and playing video games in the ancient halcyon days of 1993.

If so, you probably remember the X-wing PC games. A series of flight sims putting you in the cockpit of every fighter seen in the movies, than adding a few more for good measure. Over the course of the games you flew for the Rebellion, taking down the Death Star at the end of the first game, then for the Empire hunting down rebels and turncoat Imperial officers, then again for the Rebellion with side missions where you pilot a souped up, heavily armed Corellian freighter that's totally not the Millennium Falcon.

You're probably wondering what this post is about, why ol' See is waxing nostalgic about a game that's 20 years old and can't be found anywhere anymore and probably wouldn't run on any semi-modern computer anyway. To sum it up, GoG.com got the license to re-release the first two in the series (X-wing and TIE Fighter) and they were made available today. At 10 bucks each, it's a pretty nice deal for a hard hit of that old nostalgia.

Oh, also some other LucasArts games that you may have heard of like Sam and Max, Knights of the Old Republic, Monkey Island and Indiana Jones, with further games scheduled to be announced in the future.

But mostly I'm just posting because I'm psyched about being able to pilot a TIE again.
If you need me, try looking a long long time ago, in a galaxy far away. I'll be answering to the call sign "Alpha 1".

Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly was alive and playing video games. However, in 1993, I believe my only experience with computer games was number munchers in school on 1980s computers.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played computer games long before 93. To a time before games were point and click, to a time when you had to type out what you were doing... You couldn't just click a button to open a door, you had to type "open door" And it would come back, "open door with what?" I loved the old Sierra Point and Click games as well. Don't think that company still exists anymore.

One of the earliest computer games, I recall playing, was a game called "Lemonade Stand" in elementary school. Was a fun game, it has been re-released over the years. I think it's even on iOS. Called Lemonade Tycoon, which I believe I have.

I never got into the X-Wing series, I was never fond of the flight simulator games. The flying missions in some of the other star wars entries always annoyed me. In fact my favorite Starfox game is the ill-received one for the GameCube that took Fox out of his plane.
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young wrote:
I played computer games long before 93. To a time before games were point and click, to a time when you had to type out what you were doing... You couldn't just click a button to open a door, you had to type "open door" And it would come back, "open door with what?" I loved the old Sierra Point and Click games as well. Don't think that company still exists anymore.

Do you mean like the King's Quest series?
Cause GoG.com has them as well. 123 in one pack, 456 in a second and 78 in a third pack.

Plus, a ton of other games when you search for Sierra.

Never really got into them myself. Too many obscure puzzles that didn't make sense to me at the time, and too easy to screw up early in the game and not now about it until much later.
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never fully got into the Kings Quest series. But I loved Quest for Glory. And I see they offer all five of the games for ten bucks. So thanks for that. They are worth checking out if you have free time. Four is probably my favorite. The original leisure suit larry was a fun little game. Perhaps because it was an adult game, and I was a kid. I played the Police Quest games as well. But they were hard at the time for me.

I also loved the early lucas arts games. Manic Mansion was a blast, as was Day of the Tentacle..

Ah, nostalgia.. And, thanks for making me feel old. Rolling Eyes
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't make you feel old. You've got "Young" right there in your name.
I'd be surprised if they didn't have Maniac Mansion/Day of the Tentacle up for sale eventually. It sounds like they got a lot of the old LucasArts catalog, but are spacing out releases so as to avoid melting their servers.

And yeah, it hits right in the nostalgia bits.
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now with LucasArts being disbanded after the merger with Disney, it would be very possible to see those rights go somewhere else. I would love to see it. Of course, I do have Maniac Mansion around on my PC.

I just now, bought my first purchase from GoG. Quest for Glory series.. I have a feeling this website is gonna be my weakness. So many old memories, so many great games..

Knights of the Old Republic was another favorite of mine. Might even be my favorite Star Wars game of all time. But I have that on iOS.
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young wrote:
I just now, bought my first purchase from GoG. Quest for Glory series.. I have a feeling this website is gonna be my weakness. So many old memories, so many great games..

Yeah, I went there to get a copy of Master of Orion 2 thinking I could stop after just one.
I now have something like 30 games in my GoG library.
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's master of Orion 2?

30 games... They add up so fast. They are so addicting to get a game. I've been trying to curb my spending on games, unless I am sure I am going to play it. A lot. I have a tendency to buy games, and movies, and end up not doing anything with them.
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pretty standard 4x game, set in space (the 4Xes being: eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate). A forerunner of Galactic Civilization. You run an interstellar empire trying to wipe out all the other empires in the game. Another game that I played back in the day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Tavern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: